Dog eating other animals feces?

I know it's normal behavior for a dog to eat their own feces, although not healthy and should be discouraged. But what about other animals? My SO has a dog. It's completely fair to state the dog is lacking in intelligence. She constantly is eating our rabbits feces that he kicks out of the cage, the cat feces, and recently something left behind by an animal outside. We know it wasn't hers because he leash doesn't reach that part of the yard, I would assume another dog. This can't be healthy, but my SO swears its normal. I've owned 5 dogs over my lifetime. One ate their own feces, but none of them ate other animals. Is this normal dog behavior, or is mine just "special"?

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Pets

• I am no expert but I agree with you yours is "special" I have heard it could be lacking something in the diet to cause it to eat its own feces.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 8:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• All the dogs we have ever had have eaten horse poop. That has been quite a few over the years. I don't know if they are lacking something in their diet, but I think they have all had slightly different diets.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• With all of the dogs that we have had, our vet told us it was normal for them to eat other animals feces.
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I've had dogs that ate cat feces or their own but not any others that I know of. I think some do and some don't. I've always wondered if it was a lack of something.
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 12:07 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Our new puppy (5 months) eats the cat's poop but not his own. It makes me gag every single time.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:20 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• It's probably just an insticnt to keep their nest clean. My collie did that when she had puppies. She would fuss if there was manure in the horses' stalls because her puppies were in the other stall beside the horses.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 5:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2011

• My rottie scoured our rather large yard for poop every time she went out.

We got to calling them 'bunny berries'.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2011