To get another dog or not?

We have a Doxie (Ladi) mix about 5-6 years old and an APBT pup(Sadie) about 9 months old... our doxie used to be so much more playful but is getting a little older and lazy...lol we are thinking of maybe getting a lab pup for our other pup to play with so she has a dog to play with... do you think that they would tag team the little dog or play with eachother more... if we got another one... we have a 2 year old son and a large back yard... its really hard to make this decision so i wanted to ask you ladies what you think about it... 3 dogs seems like a lot but Ladi is small and Sadie is about 40 lbs not very big... we want Sadie to have another dog to play with... and also think it might be easier to introduce a new dog when she is younger comapared to when she is 6-7... Have any of you ladies gone through this? how many dogs do you have? what do you think about getting another pup?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 8:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Pets

• I have 2 dogs a 4 year old English Bulldog and a 13 week old English Bulldog. The little one drives the bigger one crazy but there are no real issues with the two of them. The puppy has been a blessing at getting my kids ages 3, 11, and 12 years old to pick up and put away their toys! We too have been considering a younger dog (maybe not another puppy) for ours to play with.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 8:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It all really boils down to this:
    Can you handle a 2 year old and 3 dogs? If the answer is yes, then give it a shot. If it seems like it may be overwhelming, then wait.
    You never know how your dogs are going to react to a puppy until you introduce it to the home, no matter how good or bad it has turned out for others.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 8:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I am kind of where you are right now. I have a 10 year old golden retriever and a 3 month old German shepherd. The both play well together but I know sometimes Dixie gets tired of Bella wanting to play ALL the time. We thought about getting another dog but we think it would be just too much for me. I have a 10 year old, a 5 year old, twin 4 year olds, two dogs, one rabbit and fish. So my plate is pretty full.

Do you have anybody that would let you puppy or dog sit for a week?? Kind of trial run without the guilty feelings if you had to give the pup up. Or maybe try fostering a pup?

kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Well you are right in one area, it is better to introduce another one while the other is still a pup. As far as the two of them ganging up on Doxie that may or may not take some training on your part. I don't know what your financial situation is but you need to remember that they will all need their shots, may get sick and rack up a nice bill, flea, hearworm, and other meds they need to take year round. Expense of food and anything else they may need. We had 4 dogs at one time, a Basset Hound, Silky Terrier, Great Dane, and a mix between a wolf and husky along with 3 kids!!! I sure couldn't do that again!!!! We have a Basset Hound now and this unfortunately will probably be our last because my husband and I are both disabled and can't take care of one like we should!!!
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• well, I have three dogs and for me there really is not much differant between 2 and three dogs. We found the third dog as a puppy on the streets and had intended to just foster and find him a home. My other 2 dogs are 8 and 6 years old. They are used to me fostering so it was not a big deal to them. They all play well together even though they are not the same size. My biggest is 80 pounds, the other is a petite 50 and the third is 35 pounds
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i have some friends that had an older, 15 pound weiner dog. they got a great dane as a puppy, and the dane ended up being 200 lbs (the biggest dog i've ever seen). the two of them were inseparable, they played, they walked together. Unfortunately, the wiener dog got killed by a hit and run. the couple saved a kid from being hit and the dog got hit. anyway, my point is size doesn't matter. getting the other dog as a pup is a good idea if you're going to get another. i think the doxi will still establish dominance. you'll need to help the pup not to hurt the doxi while they're learning to co-habitate.

Anonymous