Sex Offender

I just found out that my Step daugter's Step father is a register sex offender for Statutory Rape. I wonder her mother know this. I think something needs to said to her mother by my husband. Do yall agree?

They lived together for about a year before they got married and I know that he isnt suppose to be around kids unless they were step children or his own but this act happen in 2005. Her mother and his didnt get together until 2009.

tgeary

Asked by tgeary at 8:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Depends on how old he was, and how old the "child" was when this occurred. I have 2 close friends who were convicted of statutory rape when they were 18 & 19 because their girlfriends fathers threw a shit fit (they had also been dating these girls for over 3 years- and one of the couples went on to marry).
    This is one of those situations where you need to know EVERY shred of information before ruining someone's life. Statutory rape simply means that the girl was underage- which in some states can be 17, and charges can be pressed by the parents or the state. It is a screwed up system.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• No. To me, stat rape shouldn't be listed as a "sex offender" in the first place. It simply means that he had sex with someone who was WILLING but under that states age of consent, which in some states is 18... Teens having sex is nothing new, and just because he screwed up as a teen shouldn't ruin his life...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I believe that your husband has every right to find out what exactly occurred that resulted in a stat rape conviction if his daughter is going to be living--at least some of the time--under the same roof with this man. If he was a young man and got busted sleeping with his girlfriend, it's really not that big of a deal. If he was 35 and the girl was 15, then that would be a totally different situation and cause for concern.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would have your husband approach his ex and ask her for some answers. He has every right to know whether his daughter is in a dangerous situation or not. However, he may find out, as others have posted, that it was a matter of a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship as a young adult, which to me would not be of much concern at this point. If he's really still concerned after that, I'd do a background check on the guy, see if there are other felonies, et cetera.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would definitely make sure that the mother was aware of it...I mean...regardless of your role, if your SD's FATHER doesn't know what the circumstances surrounding why her step father is a SEX OFFENDER, then he definitely needs to bring it up and get some answers. I don't think you are being crazy at all for at least wanting it discussed!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• No I dont think you should say anything to the mother. Im sure she knows and its really none of your business
    Anonymous

• Yes. I think your husband should not freak out, just ask her if she knows. She should already know. If not, then there is an issue anyway.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 8:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• How can it not be any of my business? She is my step daughter.
    tgeary

Comment by tgeary (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• id have to say id have your husband say something just mention it to her and see if she knows and make sure she keeps an eye on the child
    mommyof0210

Answer by mommyof0210 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Before you judge or assume, maybe you should find out the entire story. He could have been 18 and had sex with his 17 yr old girlfriend and her parents reported it. This is also public record so you can find out the charges on your own.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2011