Do you think there is any validity to this?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-02-28/why-are-men-angry-manning-up-author-kay-hymowitz-explains/

EXCERPT:
But a lot of the responses unwittingly proved my point—and another one: Men are really, really angry. Consider: “We’re not STUCK in pre-adulthood, we choose it because there aren’t any desirable American women. They’ve been bred to abuse men.” This fairly typical response that appeared at the Seattle Post Intelligencer website: “Sorry ladies. In the age of PlayStation 3s, 24-hours-a-day sports channels, and free Internet porn, you are now obsolete. All that nagging, whining, and stealing our hard earned cash have finally caught up to you."
Shocked? I wasn t. During the last few years researching this age group, I’ve stumbled onto a powerful underground current of male bitterness that has nothing to do with outsourcing, the Mancession, or any of the other issues we usually associate with contemporary male discontent. No, this is bitterness from guys who find the young women they might have hoped to hang out with entitled, dishonest, self-involved, slutty, manipulative, shallow, controlling—and did I mention gold-digging?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• As the mother of grown sons..I can tell you they have each had experiences with women as described above. I do believe there is some validity. Some men are absolutely videogaming, sports and porn obsessed. Do I think women MADE them that way...uh, NO. I see lots of young women as the article describes but it is far from the norm. How can I be so sure...because only a very small portion of the women my sons have known are like that. Perhaps the man making all the statements should look at where he's finding women at.
    "If you keep doing what you've always done...you'll keep getting what you've always gotten"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• WOW!! Those men are looking in the wrong place. I know many women who aren't that way at all, inlcuding ME.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Ahhhhhh! Yes. Some validity. Dating back to the feminist movement. SOcial movements are always followed with a backlash from the opposite side. There has been somewhat of an anti-woman power backlash caused by women gaining power in a place other than the home. Why? Because men had a role, which was highly tied to his self-esteem. Now, woman claims she can do that role, too, equally, or better. Where does that leave man? Angry.

Don't worry ladies, this should be on the out-go within the next generation or so. ANd, many of us are very lucky to have married men of the "new generation mind" . . . men who also define themselves by what they can do in the home.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I think that even the statements sound that the men are intimidated by women who are not going to be dependent on them or have standards. Video games, porn, and the television do not require you to be anything but a slouch...and they pull the "happy lever" with no effort on the half of a man. I have never seen a man run like they seem to from my girlfriends who have educations and have established a life of their own.

I am not trying to defend women who think the world is owed to them and are equally lazy (I am sure there are plenty), but I am very thankful to have someone who appreciates the way I work and pursue my education, instead of seeing it as a service interruption for him.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It never ceases to amaze me that we live in country where there can be huge unemployment, shitty health care and people starving to death on the streets, yet folks can get great wads of cash to "study" a steaming load of horse pucky such as this.

Seriously, what happened to personal responsibility? Men who have chosen to limit themselves to being lazy, selfish assholes can now blame women for their choices? That's ridiculous! When we were all barefoot and pregnant, nobody gave us any credit for churning out generations of effective humans, why should we be blamed for a few rotten apples now?

I could go on and on, there's so much bullshit here to tear holes in...
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• ...And I came back because I gave it some more thought!

Let's just say for argument's sake, that the author's claims are 100% true. Why, if these men know that they're angry and it's caused by a lack of self-esteem and communication skills brought on by being raised into a generation of nagging, demanding, manipulative women, aren't they actively seeking to learn better communication skills and seek out other sources of self-esteem instead of wallowing and whining and playing the victim?

Another theory that could fit the presented data is that this society is incredibly stressful when compared to society in the generations before now, and people are overstimulated in general by the environment in which we live, thanks largely to interactions with technology, which leaves ALL people in a lesser position to cope and communicate adequately?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 3:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2011