Potty Training

ok my son will be 2 this Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whhooooooooooo hhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooo!!!!

And i want to start training him at the end of the month. He is my first kid and I am not even sure how you start to potty train a kid. Like I hear watch for the signs, make them sit down on it for like forever, ummm a bunh of things. I'm like wow.

I want to do it now while I am still a stay at home mom to him...come May I won't have time to do this. Sooooo what can a new mom do???

P.S. He has sometimes (I stresse that) started to mess with his diaper and pull it off but he will still just stand and pee somewhere. I don't think he gets the signal pee means go to toliet. I think when he is pulling his diaper off he just may be hot down there or doesn't like all the moisture.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 9:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can't rush him. And I, personally, don't think it is a good idea to force your child to sit on the potty and not let them move until it's done. I did that once with my kid and he screamed holy murder. He didn't need to go, even though he was holding down there. It is common for babies to pull thier nappies off. Mine pulled it off in the cot and poo was everywhere! Just leave a potty around the house. Get some boy pants for him and let him walk around naked bottom half at first. Then when he starts peeing every now and again, put the pants on him. My boy has only been potty trained. I started him at 2 but he didnt catch on and he will be 3 in two months! You CANNOT rush them, it will come naturally.
    Rae1990

Answer by Rae1990 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• yeah...sometimes when I hear other mothers say oh I had mine potty triained at 18 monts, by 1, or by 2 i can't help but feel a little bit presured. I had a chair and leave it out....
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I am personally going thru the potty training stage with my daughter. When she goes on the potty, we make a HUGE deal about it. If she doesn't, we don't. She loves the attention she gets when she goes on the potty. With my son on the other hand, he was a very late bloomer but he did get potty trained in a month. He was almost 3. He wore pull-ups since he was 2. So, let your child tell you when they are ready. It really depends on them. If you rush, they usually rebel. My son did. Honestly, I regret pressuring him but he was my first and I listened to everyone. Listen to your child!!!! They will tell you when they are ready!

Good luck!!!!!!!!
    LoveMy2Kids10

Answer by LoveMy2Kids10 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My son just turned 3 when he decided he was going to pee in his potty. Refused when we tried making him go ealier. Poopie was another problem. Everyone scolded or shamed me for not pushing him faster. Why make him unhappy? One weekend we went to visit friends and he pooped in his diaper. It was a BAD smelly one too--friends laughed about smelling it all the way down the hall. He understood what they were saying and it actually embarrassed him. When we got home, the first thing he did was go the "big" potty to pee, then he moved his step infront of the toilet and asked to be put on the big toilet to poop.

Now my problem is...how do you teach him how to wipe his butt?

N
    BSWSC

Answer by BSWSC at 12:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'm feeling pressured too. My son is 2 and a half and I want to have him potty trained before his little brother comes this July. My mom is a pre-school teacher and she suggested I try to have my oldest in her school before the newborn gets here so I can have some time to recover. But they have to be potty trained to go to her school. He shows some interest and shows signs that he's ready to train but then there are times when he doesn't act interested at all and he wants nothing to do with it. I bought the Toy Story Pull Ups and explained to him that they're big boy diapers and he's going to be a big boy and go potty on the big potty. Idk what to do anymore I'm thinking of just going back to regular diapers and trying again in a month or so.
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 1:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yeah man. There is this daybare I may beable to get my son into and just thought oh crap does he need to be potty trained or not? ugh. I've tired encouraging him and making a big deal I even let him decorate it lol Just so he could get the idea the potty is a nice thing but nope. I thought maybe he may benefit from a ring on the toliet instead of a traditional chair. I think it is way more stress on me than my son. I have heard a lot of mom's say there boys didn't go until they were three. So that is comforting but then again it is not. a 3 year old has real stinky poopie. Yes, getting the kids to wipre properly is tough lol Glad I have a boy and don't have to worry about him getting an infection from wiping the other way (as much) lol

I remember potty training my little brother (i was 16) but I think he was 3...I really don't know what I did so special then lol cause I need it now :)
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2011