Breastfeeding with nipple shield?

Unfortunately due to my baby's small mouth and some other problems, I'm still having to use a shield to breast feed. She gets better every time she tries. My question is about when using the nipple shield. I feel like more milk comes out of the bottom of the shield than goes in her both. But she seems to get full enough. Am I just being overly paranoid?

sydash11

Asked by sydash11 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you getting a good seal when you put it on? I used to have to get mine wet with a bit of water, right around the edges and hold it on with two figures on the ends until my son started to suck. It would make a seal and the only time I had milk come out the bottom was when I removed the shield after he was done eating.

NickLukeandEmma

Answer by NickLukeandEmma at 9:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Agree with PP. That is exactly how I did mine.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• When you put on the shield, try putting it on starting from the bottom of your breast so that it gets a good seal. And wetting the edges should help too. Good Luck!
    Mommy_Waller

Answer by Mommy_Waller at 10:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• sorry off topic but what's a nipple sheild?
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• You need to make sure it is sealed well. Wet around your nipple with a little breastmilk then start from the bottom when placing the shield. If you need to, hold it in place while nursing. I used one for the entire 8 months my Son nursed and did all of the above. Good luck, and good job! It's pain to use it, but it helps A TON.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:49 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I also used these and would recommend getting it wet as well. You could just lick it to get it wet and then stick it on from the bottom first. I don't remember leaking alot from the bottom, but I do remember having to wash them everytime because I would have some milk left over in them.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Lashes, a nipple shield is just what it sounds like. A plastic shield worn on the nipple while nursing.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2011