My little 21 month old has a rash around his mouth and kinda around the sides of his nose.

It started when he was a drool monster 2 weeks ago...4 teeth in one week! Anyways now the weather has changed from 60 degrees down to 12 in a matter of one week and it sure is taking a tole on his little face. He still has a bit of the rash but now it's also chapped. Anyone know of a good ointment that won't make him breakout anymore than he already is and sooth his chapped little skin?

Christi12

Asked by Christi12 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My doc recommend aquaphor for my dd's teeting rash. works great. I perfer lanolin b/c I know it's safe for her to eat. I'm not sure about the aquaphor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My son has the EXACT same thing and I thought it was jsut wind chapped. I took him to the doctor 2 days ago and it turns out it was eczema... just a mild case. They gave me a steroid to put on it for 10 day and it was gone this morning when he woke up. My doctor told me after 10 days to start using zinc oxide (diaper rash cream).
    neverwrong8682

Answer by neverwrong8682 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• When that happens to my LO, I put some aquaphor (which is a healing petroleum product) or vaseline, around his mouth. And a put a thick layer on at night. It usually clears up in 1-2 days.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I would call the DR ASAP.
    outofmymind26

Answer by outofmymind26 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I agree with the first poster, get the first poster get the Aquafor and put it around the rashed area but not in the mouth area. This really should help with the skin irratation and dryness. If this does not clear up in a few weeks I would see a doctor.
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 3:19 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My daughter had the same thing and I took her to the doctor because it dried out and started to chap and bleed. My doctor gave me a prescription for something called Happy Hinneys ointment. It is a diaper rash cream but it can be used in other areas as well. I put that on her face and rubbed it in and then i put the baby aquaphor on top to keep it moisturized. It cleared up in no time. But make sure you get the right aquaphor. There are two kinds. There is the adult aquaphor then there is the baby aquaphor. The baby aquaphor will have the baby blocks on the top right corner. Hope this helps.
    kesha263

Answer by kesha263 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 21, 2008