Give me a quote/advise so I don't blow up on my SIL's face tomorrow?

My sister-in-law has extremely different style than me. Her idea of planning ahead is think about something 5 seconds before it happens. My idea of being spontaneous is planning something 3 days before it happens. A lot of things have happened over the years which I don't want to go into, but my gripe is basically I don't care what your style is, as long you don't affect my life and do not expect me to pick up after you (that's why we have children). Anyway, we are spending a day together tomorrow with a distant cousin who flew 17 hours to visit US, we'll just be shopping and walking around (yes, she planned it so there's no plan). I need someone to give a calming quote or a simple advise that I can remind myself tomorrow all day so I don't blow up on her face.

Olivia4116

Asked by Olivia4116 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• Honestly, whenever I have one of those days where I can't take it anymore, I start thinking of Dory in 'Finding Nemo'. I sing to myself

♪Just keep swimming♪ ♪Just keep swimming♪
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• don't sweat the small stuff...it is all small stuff?
    live in the now?
    stop and smell the roses...without a plan to do so?
    does shopping really need a plan?
    what do you think your cousin would like?
    focus on the cousin, focus on the cousin!
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• LOL...loony tune. I'm all for it!
    Olivia4116

Comment by Olivia4116 (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i love the Dory suggestion (hope you do not mind, but i will be trying this one when things are tough)

you could tell her that although you two are polar opposites (that is if she knows) you love how she is spontaneous,but you will never be, just like she will never be a planner, try to make a light hearted joke about BOTH of you, like both of you are extreme ends of spectrum
    however if sees does not understand this....sing like dory, maybe you can forgot her name a bunch just like dory does
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Breath in though your nose, and out through your mouth. But do your lips like you are gonna kiss someone. That has a calming affect, so do it a few times.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• well it sounds like you plan on trying to enjoy your visit with this distant cousin....so thats just what you should do!! Just try and set aside your differences, and be open to suggestions.... its only one day right?? Im sure you can do it, we women can do anything we can put our minds to!!
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Thanks ladies. All excellent and very wise advise. (by the way, of course you need a plan for shopping, i.e. how many pairs of shoes am I planning to acquire...")
    Olivia4116

Comment by Olivia4116 (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2011