Sippy Cup Issues!

I am trying to get my 11 month old weaned from bottles. I've tried 4 different kinds of sippy cups. He tries to drink out of them but it's like the flow is way too fast and he chokes and gags. I would think by now he'd be ready to move beyond the fast flow nipple. He'll be a year old in less than a month! Is there anything I can do to help him?

courtloux_128

Asked by courtloux_128 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try offering only sippy cups during the day. if you give juice to your son, give him full strength in the sippy and diluted in a bottle (or somewhat diluted in sippy, super diluted in the bottle).
    also, try a soft spouted sippy. I have found the gerber sippy cups to be the easiest for my kids to use. dd chews on the rubber so she has to use hard spouted ones now (she just turned one a few days ago). My son used a bottle at nap and bed time until he was about 2- but during the day he was only allowed sippy cups and they were always available.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Playtex has sippy cups that have a "plug" in them that 1) helps control flow of liquid, and 2) helps prevent spilling if it gets tipped over. It's a cup with two handles on the lid and has either a soft spout or a hard one.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My 10 month old has the same problem try the nuby sippy cups they work like a bottle u can find them at the dollar store to so it's really cheap but she don't use her bottle much anymore only at night when she goes to bed
    ajk2010

Answer by ajk2010 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2011