Is it bad if my 3 week old sleeps for 4-5 hours at a time, missing feedings?

My son usually eats every 2-3 hours, however sometimes, mainly late at night, he sleeps for a good bit longer and misses his feedings. I always feed him as soon as he wakes up, but I was told not to wake him up to eat by doctors, lactation specialists, etc. so I haven't been. I was just wondering, how long is TOO LONG for him to stay asleep without eating?

Mommy_Waller

Asked by Mommy_Waller at 10:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some people will tell you yes and some will tell you no. I've always heard never wake a sleeping baby. I would only wake him up if he was a preemie. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 10:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Sounds like you have a good sleeper on your hands!! Be greatful of this, lol it may not last. Babies will wake up when they are hungry, I promise you that! As long as everything checks out with his pediatrician, as far as weight and development, then you're good!!
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Babies know when they are hungry and will let you know when they are. I always fed my son when he let me know he was hungry and plan to do the same with this little one. If they are sleeping why wake them?
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Omg, enjoy it!! As long as your baby is eating well when he is awake, seems content after feedings, and is peeing and pooping, then I think it's fine to let him sleep.
    natersmom76

Answer by natersmom76 at 10:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree with all the other Mamas! The only thing is that it could affect your milk supply if you are BFing. My daughter was the same way but my milk supply went south and then I had to supplement with formula, which she ended up having to have full time because my milk stopped coming in. Good luck!
    merandaobrien

Answer by merandaobrien at 10:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• that's just normal...it's nothing to worry about...he'll wake up when he's hungry. =)
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If mine slept that long during the day, I always woke them up. But during the night I let them sleep as long as they would. If you are breastfeeding, I wouldn't let him go more than 8 hours though unless it's very well established.

Answer by missanc at 7:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Let him sleep as long as he wants during the night. He should eventually get to a 10 - 12 hour night. The only time I would wake a baby is if they got their days mixed up with their nights and were sleeping all day and awake a lot at night. But it doesn't sound like that is what's happening with you. Enjoy!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have a sister who works in the NICU and she told me as long as babies dont sleep more than about 5 hrs not to wake them up to feed them. Enjoy it....all 4 of my babies woke up every 2hours at that age. They didnt sleep for a 5 hour stretch until close to 12 months old.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Watch the dipes. If they drop below 6-8 per day, then start waking. Otherwise... enjoy this stage while it lasts.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011