Babies behind bars

New show on TLC that documents the lives of pregnant women who are in prison.. and want to keep their babies in jail with them once they are born.. and raise them..

What are your opinions?

kaitilala

Asked by kaitilala at 10:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Aren't they only allowed to do that if they are getting out soon and they have to have good conduct and a certain charges?
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 10:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yes to the first poster. I like the program, as in what's being done on the show. I think it's a great start for these ladies to get their lives back on track. It's better then just thrusting the children upon them after leaving jail, and hoping for the best. In this program they get education, for both themselves as parents and for their children's benefits (ie developmental milestones, when to start sold foods, different tricks to diapering). It's not for murders and hardened criminals, it's for those who made a stupid mistake, have served there less then 18 month sentence, and are read to get out and start anew. I'm all for it.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree then, I like it. The best motivation they have is their children and as long as the jail is mainly looking out for the childs best interest I'm ok with my tax dollars helping the women and their babies out.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 10:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I don't know. It's tough. On one hand, I don't think a baby should grow be in a prison. But, if it's only as an infant, it's not like they'd know the difference. And it IS best for a baby to be with their mothers. I think it would be different if the child was old enough to understand they were in a prison. I guess as babies the benefits of being with their mothers outweigh the negatives of them living in a prison.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i don't think it's a good idea for a child to be raised in a prison, period. That's not fair to the child, nor tax payers. The mothers in prison don't get to live normal lives, that's why they call it PRISON. Why would you punish an innocent child? Do you have any idea what actually happens in prisons?

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'd like to point out that tax payers are going to foot the bill either way. If the baby doesn't stay in prison then it's going to be fostered and even if it's by grandma and grandpa they still get cash and health insurance for the baby and they can get food stamps/WIC if their income is low enough.

I think it's an interesting social experiment. I think it's great that they probably get some great parenting skills that they wouldn't have but at the same time how can you treat an infant fairly in prison while treating it's mother like an inmate?
    JessWulf84

Answer by JessWulf84 at 2:30 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think it's better for the babies to be with their mothers, and I think it gives the mothers a reason to go straight and better their lives, and not be incarcerated again. They are being taught life skills that will help them once they get out. You can't help everyone, but I think this might be a help to many.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think the program is fine as long as mom doesnt have a life sentence or something like that. If a mom is in there for 1-3 yrs and has her child I really cannot see how it isnt beneficial to the child. I would think it would be much more emotionally damaging to place a newborn in the care of non relatives or even grandparents and never know its mom, only to be given back to mom at say age 3.

Answer by gemgem at 8:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I do agree with keeping a child with a parent. The child is not in jail, the parent is. Big difference. These kids are in rooms that are normal rooms, playrooms, and yards. They do not look like your average jail cell. These parents are women who have shorter sentences and will be raising their children when they leave. It is better for a child to know the parent than for mom to be a total stranger when she leaves jail. The child does not spend more than two years with a parent who is in prison.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I saw the show and I love the idea. No one on the outside has to be responsible for the child and the bonding can begin between the two. I just hate that they have to be chained to the bed as they are having their child!
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 8:34 AM on Mar. 4, 2011