Very leery of airplane trip with an incredibly active 11-month old. Any advice/tips??

J's 11 months old now, and NEVER SITS STILL. Always grabbing at things and wants to always be on the go. So, how in the world am I going to make it on a 3-hour flight with him (plus, what, 20 minutes on the plane before even takeoff?) He's a very light sleeper, too, so I don't think he'll sleep, unless I drug him! (Just kidding - I'm not considering that.) Any of you BTDT, and any advice? I'm excited about seeing my family (all of my family lives in another state - I hardly get to see any of them), but I'm just so nervous about how horrible it's probably going to be, trying to corral him on my lap for 3 1/2 hours!!

Jill97

Asked by Jill97 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't consider "drugging" them either. But in a case like this I don't think it is going to hurt to give him some Baby Tylenol or something like that for the trip!!! At least your not like my "so called DIL" who drugs, and has drugged her kids since they were born so she doesn't have to watch them!!! So I really don't think this one time would hurt anything. Good luck and I hope you have fun with your family. God Bless You!!!
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I was so nervous to go on a flight with my 11 month old. It was her first time flying and I was alone! But I breastfed so when she was cranky (More towards the end + she didnt have a nap before the flight!) I put her on a boob lol but if you don't nurse no worries bc she wasnt as crazy as I thought my shed be. She was just a little antsy just sitting there so I would roam up and down a couple seats behind/ahead with her when noone was in the aisle and nobody minded either, they talked and played with her so it turned out not so bad! GL! Just bring books, toys and snacks etc. Keeping them occupied it the key.
    ashleyxo8

Answer by ashleyxo8 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Oh! And make sure you have a bottle ready for the take-off + Landing. Don't want their ears to pop!
    ashleyxo8

Answer by ashleyxo8 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I remember taking my son on a 6 hour flight at that age, and on my lap. I got some advice on line that said bring some individually wrapped little presents (things they haven't had before, just little things) to keep them entertained. Maybe open one ever hour. I think the best thing is having a DVD player or something for them to watch. Make sure it's charged though (which I failed to do). Lots of snacks and any distraction you can find. Keys, toys, etc. Three hours isn't that bad
    missholly1978

Answer by missholly1978 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Thanks. I'm going to stock up on novel items for him to play with and the other suggestions.

Friends have suggested I pay for an extra seat - oh, how I wish I could. We went when he was younger and he slept both ways, but it was still bad with me cramped and having to sit completely still to not wake him, for 3 hours plus the 40-minute delays on the runway BOTH WAYS. Sucked. So I can only imagine how this will be, with me having to hold him and him being 11 mos old now and never still.

Also, at 11 months, he doesn't really get engrossed in toys, you know? Manipulates them, chews on them, but doesn't have the cognitive capacity to really get engrossed in a video, or playing with something for long periods. Of course, I haven't tried videos yet, since they're not supposed to watch tv/videos before 2 yrs old. On a flight, though, I don't care - he can watch whatever he wants! Were your kids able to get into a video at 11 mos?
    Jill97

Comment by Jill97 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I recommend that you make sure you have plenty of snacks for the trip. Also from some personal experience when I traveled with my little one, is make sure the child is eating something right as the airplane is making its ascend and descend, because they dont know how to pop their ears at that age, and eating something will help prevent crying while you are going into the air and landing.
    Mom0413

Answer by Mom0413 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 5, 2011