Okay, I need encouragement to keep going strong... or advice on what else to do.

So my son (19 months old) has a decent range of foods that he'll eat: most breakfast foods, PB&J, chicken nuggets, cheese pizza, snack foods (crackers, etc.), most fruit, the occasional slice of bell peppers, peas or such. But he's becoming more and more resistant to new foods and even foods he's eaten before.

I've decided that I need to put my foot down and do the "you'll eat what you're offered or go hungry" thing. I have some little relatives who have clearly won the food wars in their house and, honestly, the kid's health have serverely suffered because of it. I'm not going to let this go on until one day my son is living off of bread, cheese and protein bars like my niece is.

So I offer him 3 meals, 2 snacks in between meals, and a 1/2 cup of pediasure (his "vanilla milk") before bed. Each meal has protein, grains/starch, 1-2 fruit/veg, and dairy. Each snack has 1 fruit/veg and something else - and the portions are not that huge, so he can't skip lunch and fill up on snack. Each offering is different than what he's been offered previously in the day. But, these aren't necessarily "kid friendly" offerings. Like lunch today was mashed potatoes, roast chicken and green beans (left-over from last night), and dinner today was home-made Thai curry with rice, veggies and shrimp (but not too hot - mild enough for him to handle).

He didn't eat either lunch or dinner. Gobbled up his apple slices and grahm crackers for snack and of course, drained the pediasure but was crying/whinning for most of the day because he was hungry... kept trying to go into my bag for more snack or open the fridge for more food. But would refuse the left-overs from lunch and dinner when I offered.

This is the 3rd day of this!! He's getting only a little bit of food... and refusing the rest, and then going to bed still hungry. And the whinning and tantrums are like nothing he's done before!!!

Am I doing the right thing? I don't really see a major flaw in my plan, but my pissed off and hungry 1 year old is shaking my confidence.

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 10:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it just takes time, I know it's annoying with the tantrums and giving in but if maybe try foods where the "goods" are hidden. Like spaghetti and a tomato sauce, broccoli + cheese etc. But i'm sure you already knew this, Sorry i'm not much help. GL!
    ashleyxo8

Answer by ashleyxo8 at 10:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My son is two and pulling the same crap. I am continually making new meals for him until he will eat something. My husband is a fan of your method but I don't want to see him hungry. I am wasting a lot of food. He is sick too and I know that affects when he is hungry and how much so I'm trying to be patient and keep offering him different things. He's eating but it's keeping me busy. I don't know if what I'm doing is right either. Good luck.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 10:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I am a fan of somewhere in between. I don't believe in making multiple meals and catering to the behavior, but of course I don't like to see my kid get hungry either.

A couple of tricks that have worked for me are for one, it seems to be an age where they just don't want to sit still. Sometimes she starts off eating really well, but then she gets impatient being in her chair. So I let her out, let her run around and eat the rest of her meal at her leisure in the living room. It takes her nearly an hour sometimes, but she'll eat 2-3 times what she would have if I just forced her to stay in her chair.
    Also, rather than argueing w/ her, I try to make a game of it. My DD is almost 2 so shethinks everything is "Mine". So I'll tell her, "i'm gonna eat your mashed potaotes!" and she immeadiately runs to them saying, "NO! MY potaotes!" and starts eating them w/a smile.
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Also, I don't think you can force them to eat something if they really aren't in the mood,. So while I won't make a whole new meal, if she is really being firm about not wanting something, i may just cut up some fruit I know she' ll eat or thin sliced cucumbers or tomatoes. At least it's something, and you aren't totally caving with unhealthy foods. If they have just a couople of days of eating light it won't hurt them
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If this is recent, he may just not be going through a growth spurt right now or maybe even coming down with sickness. My daughter will hardly eat anything when she is getting sick, sick, or just not growing! But when is she is feeling good and normal she will eat all meals.
    brookes_mom04

Answer by brookes_mom04 at 1:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2011