I have a friend and when her mother (who I am also close with) comes over... and I go to change my daughter she stares at my child.. I am very uncomfortable with it but I dont know what to say without being rude.. Can anyone help?..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'd try and block my child from the eyes of the nosey parent or if you can, go into a room where you're changing your child's diaper alone.
    ashleyxo8

Answer by ashleyxo8 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• You know this woman, right? Would it bother you if she was staring because she thought your daughter is beautiful or if she misses having little ones around? I actually can't get enough of my son's naked body - it's seriously just the most unbelievably beautiful thing I've ever seen (of course I'm totally biased). And when I visit my neices, I'm just honestly shocked at how beautiful, strong and perfect their little bodies are. I probably stare a bit, too... I LOVE to watch them move and grow. In a weird way, it makes me feel calm and hopeful about their futures... I'm not sure why. Do you think it's possible that she just feels something similar about your daughter's perfect little body?
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• bring your child into your bedroom or into the bathroom to change her. a little inconvenient- but a lot less uncomfortable. if anyone asks, just say she is starting to move around a lot more and you don't want her to pee or poo on the floor and that you want to "corral" her into the smaller room.

sometimes when a friend is changing their kid I try to distract the kid by smiling at them and looking into their eyes- but it is pretty obvious that i'm not looking at the diapering area- I see enough dirty diapers in my own house:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Mention it to her as you're changing your daughter. Say, "You always seem so interested in my baby when you come over! You must think she's as special as I do!"

She might not even know she's doing it, and getting "caught in the act" might help her talk about what's going on in her head. If you don't like her response, simply change your daughter in a different room from now on...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I change her in the floor anyway.. I dont have a changing table. The last time she came over her and her daughter both spent the night. There were a few times that when I went to change her the mother looked at my daughter and kept insisting that she had a yeast infection. It wouldnt have bothered me if there was visually something wrong, but she hasn't even had a severe diaper rash yet.. I been off work for maternity leave so ive really been on top of everything. They have both offered to help with the baby when I go back to work.. So, I really dont want to be rude
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Maybe she thinks your daughter shouldn't be changed on the floor? I do know that you do what you have to do in order to get by.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would take the baby into another room so she couldn't see her or next time you see her looking I would ask her why she was staring at your baby, I always cover my son when changing him because I don't trust anyone, you never know what anyones motives are no matter how long you've known them, if you feel a certain way follow your gut your child always comes first and whatever you have to do to ensure your childs safety whether its knocking a bitch out or kicking a bitch out then u do it
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 2:15 AM on Mar. 4, 2011