My son is in Kindergarten and is starting to talk back a little. Not really sure how to handle this. Time out doesn't work and spanking seems severe.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Depending on how he is talking back (swearing or just being mouthy) I wonder if he is just looking to get a reaction from you.
    Swearing at this age is often used to try and illicet a reaction from parents and sometimes No Reaction from parents is all it takes to get a youngster to realize that his/her behaviour is not going to get them anywhere. Also if it's swearing the first time I would remind them that that type of talk is not allowed by them and than after that if they swear don't pay any attention to them (if it's at home) and soon they stop. If its being mouthy I would tell him/her that I don't like being spoke to this way and I won't pay attention to you or give you what you want unless you speak kindly to me.
    This usually works.
    Most kids are just seeking to get a simple rise out of their parents at that age...testing the limits.
    Good Luck Mom!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• ok...my little guy is going through the same thing right now...kindergarten is difficult from some and in order from some of them to fit in with the other kids in class they try to be like them and unfortunately they don't always pick the "good" kids in the class...anyways...I have a 3 strike thing going in my house right now.. I have 3 little guys & they enjoy baseball so this system is really easy...here is how it works....if they back talk me...1 warning...do it again..2nd warning...3rd time...strike...and when they get 3 strikes they have to go to their bedroom for 15 minutes. When they come out they have to tell me why they were in their bedroom and say they are sorry and I erase the 3 strikes off the board and start over. Now some people might stay that 2 warnings is too much, but some people need to remember that we are dealing with 5 year olds here. Good luck!!!
    9tigger

Answer by 9tigger at 10:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Mine is in PreK and doing the same thing. Time outs, removing priviledges and all haven't worked yet but I keep looking for them to click with him any time now :)

I'm also about to start using our reward jar system again. EVERY single good thing they do - they put pebble/stone/gem into the jar. Example, homework, getting dressed without incident, putting dirty clothes into the laundry, picking up toys, helping out a sibling, etc. Likewise, if they have a problem, they may have to remove a gem from their jar.... when the jar is filled - they get a reward. Maybe a movie - maybe ice cream, etc - something that is important to that child and is a special treat.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I so remember thinking at this age "What happened to my sweet little boy?" I think when they go to school & are exposed to the awful manners of some other kids, it is bound to happen.

We would take away privileges, not for a huge amount of time, but every single time he talked back. We were able to talk to our son and explain that kids who talk back don't get a good reaction from people. Also, told him that whatever he hears at school or from friends or TV that we do not speak to each other disrespectfully in our house. It is a process, but eventually it worked. He has his moments - some talking back is normal - but it isn't a regular thing. Stick with the time outs, praise him for being respectful when he is - he'll get there!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have nothing to offer but sympathy. Mine is doing the same thing.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• Just have clear consequences for smart talk. If you stick with them every single time, children learn pretty fast.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• When he is rude, ignore him, and he will learn that it isn't working.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I remember mine doing that around 4th grade, but I guess everything starts earlier now.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• isn't it fun?
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I think we may try the reward jar,
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 7:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2011