Spanking your child DEBATE

Personally I don't think it's good parenting. I think it's very sad and abusive. Time out, or "no snack time" is much more appropriate!

What are your opinions about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think it's abusive physically, emotionally and mentally. It's taking advantage of the fact that an adult has more power and can "take control" by hurting what's smaller and weaker. Much like rape. Studies show kids who were spanked turn out to have all sorts of issues. Sexual problems, low self esteem, aggressiveness to name a few. I hope one day it becomes illegal. And it's my honest opinion. I was abused as a child as was my husband. I'm sure this question is going to turn into heated debate, as do all of these type questions. I'm not going to participate in that childish behavior. I said the truth and that's that."

Really? You're comparing spanking to rape? Funny...I was spanked and have NONE of those issues, and neither does my brother or MANY of the people I know who were spanked. I say to generalize like that is BS and simply a scare tactic.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:28 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'm not sure how depriving your child of a snack is helpful, if they're hungry then isn't that painful too?
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I was spanked and I was not abused. There's a difference. I probably had the happiest childhood of anyone I know...and I am not exaggerating when I say that. My parents spanked occasionally, but I never felt afraid or unloved. However, they never once let it even come close to crossing into abuse. With that being said, I hope I never have to spank my son. I don't plan on spanking, and I'm hoping alternative disciplinary methods will be effective enough without spanking.

I really dislike when parents who spank are automatically labeled as abusive. My parents were nowhere NEAR abusive. There ARE parents who truly abuse their children, and labeling parents who aren't abusive and putting them in the same category as parents who actually harm their children is ridiculous, in my opinion.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If there was a little more "spanking" going on, or even some good 'ol fashion discipline would do wonders!! Too many kids nowdays have entirely to much "power" over the parents!! These damn kids I see, especially teenagers, are rude, disrespectful, mean, they back talk, they are bullying other kids, beating the hell out of them in some cases, skipping school, drinking, dabbling in drugs, bullying their OWN parents because they are actually AFRAID of their child!! Kids absolutely need some kind if guidance. Made it be known there WILL be repercussions if they break ther law, break curfew, talking back ect. If the kid gets in trouble for bullying another person, they will go to the house where the victim is and will say sorry and mean it, and to the parents. Then the bully will tell the victim why they singled them out. And if there is any talk of retribution to the victim cause they stepped up and told someone cont>>>>>>>>
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I very rarely got spanked as a kid (one of four girls) but I did when I was not listening to my folks and I was in danger of getting hurt. I applied the same concept to my kids and probably only had to do it four or five times total. I think there IS a place for it and it depends on your child. Frankly, I know a parent who only did time outs and they NEVER worked. The kid just walked away and was a shit to be around. He was so naughty we quit playing with him. I believe that was the parents' fault. JMO.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree with Loving SAHM . My husband, his sisters and I were all spanked as children and we have all been successful in our lives as adults with none of the problems your " studies ' claim spanked chidren have . Some, if not many, of these studies are of abused children and there is a world of difference betwen spanking in a loving and caring home and child abuse .

I get tired of people with the magic answer of how or how not to raise children . Mine do very well at school. are sociable, polite and courteous . And spanked when necessary. If you can raise your children well without spanking , good , I am pleased to hear it .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:47 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think that the way someone chooses to parent their own children is their own damn business.  EVERYONE can look at someone else and say THATS WRONG.  I think taking snacks away is abuse.  Not really, just saying how easy it is.  I spank, don't give a flying whoot whoot what anyone thinks about it.  My children are well behaved as was I and they don't act like wild booga bear booties.  The need for spanking is gone, but I wouldn't take one of those spanks back because that's what has gotten us to the point of not needing them.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• no thank you..
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 10:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• That person will be dealt with swiftly and harshly, even if its my own. As I am sure everybody woman here, when I was growing up, and a adult saw me do somnething wrong, they took care of it, and then told my parents. What happened with that? Is society as a whole just getting immune to the violence going on? Even if the violence was caused by our child? If a parent has tried every punishment they could think of? Th parent should of started teaching their kids about the repercussions if they disobeyed a rule or the law when the kid was young and didn't know anything. Doing when they are teenagers is way too late, cause by then, they do know everything.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• When I saw your description, I had to chuckle. "Personally I don't think it's good parenting. I think it's very sad and abusive. "
    That IS NOT sad and abusive. First off, I am a law abiding citizen with no criminal record or history of abusing people or anything like that. The worst thing I've ever done in my life was get a speeding ticket when I was 16. That said...Spanking is not abusive. Abusive is hitting your child with a belt, with a stick, or other object meant to harm. Locking your child out of the house, locking your child in the closet. Denying them food for days. That is sad and abusive. And all of that and more was done to me in the name of discipline. Do I abuse others? No. Do I hate my parents? God, yes!
    AlyssaM0mmy

Answer by AlyssaM0mmy at 7:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2011