When do kids start reading?

I know that all children are different as far as when they actually start reading, but I'm just kind of wondering what the general age range is? My daughter is starting kindergarten this year and I always thought there was a test they took when they enrolled to figure about where they are at and what they would need work with. But they did not do that. So I'm just trying to see how prepared my girl is to start. She read's what I consider really good and I'm super proud of her. Just kinda wondering.

jfblaine83

Asked by jfblaine83 at 10:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can find out from your school what they expect. From what I can recall, ds' school wanted them to be able to right their name, count to 20, and know the alphabet.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• They'll do "sight" words in K (and, is, the, she, it, etc) and may pick up some reading there with really short books on certain topics, going to the zoo, a whale, grocery shopping, seeing the doctor, etc. In first grade, I believe they level kids for where their reading is.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My kids didn't take any assessments at enrollment. it was during the first week.

My boys entered kindergarten at just over 5.5. DD turned 5 in Oct, after starting in Aug. the very youngest in the grade.

DD and DS1 both were beginning readers and it really clicked in during the middle of 1st grade. He was 7, she was 6.
    DS2 is currently in kinder and is reading just as well, if not better than when the older ones began 1st grade. He is 6.

BTW, the older 2 were reading far about grade level by 3rd grade (we're talking Eragon and Harry Potter 7)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• she's 5, she know's the alphabet, can count to 100 & by 10's, she writes her full name, she spells simple 3 or 4 letter words and she's good at reading. She reads books to me and of course needs help sounding out larger words when we read together.
    jfblaine83

Comment by jfblaine83 (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• You have nothing to answer because you've already answered your question. You sound like you just need some reassurance and I'm here to say you're doing a great job!!! A lot of children don't even start reading before kindergarten and that's perfectly normal. You sound like you've gotten a head start on things with your child reading before starting kindergarten. One step ahead is always good. I hope this helps... : )
    Krisn4

Answer by Krisn4 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Sounds like she'll be just fine. My son's school did a "readiness test". To see if he was ready to begin learning or something like that. He was actually bored all through kindergarten, academically wise. He taught himself to read at 4 years old, started school at 5 and a month later turned 6 (missed the school's age cutoff by 6 weeks). He could read and do simple math, like #+#+? and some single digit multiplication. We'd never done much writing with him at home so he was about average there. He is now in first grade and has a reading and comprehension level of a fifth grader. His writing still needs help; it's still pretty sloppy.

My daughter will be 4 in a few days and well on her way to being just like her brother. She's more into coloring and writing than he was, but is still a smart cookie.

I don't think my kids are the average meter though.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• You got the answer - it depends on the child. You're doing fine! Many schools still use 1st grade as a reading benchmark - they teach reading as a 1st grade skill with pre-reading and phonics coming in kindergarten. In my district, for example, most kids begin reading at 6 or 7 yrs old IN first grade. Some read before.

Deep breath. Keep exposing her to books and phonics concepts - it'll click when she's ready.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:34 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Children are now learning to read in kindergarten, but most children learn to read in first grade. One of the many factors that determines when a child starts to read is how often a child is read to at home. That's how children learn reading readiness skills: turning pages, reading from left to right, starting at the top of the page, learning that the spoken word can be written down, developing a rich vocabulary, etc.          www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 9:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• This is such a great topic to discuss! Can't wait till mine are old enouhg to read.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think all kids are different. Some read at age three and some struggle until they have been in elem for a while.. My son was reading in Kindergarten and now is advanced in reading and vocab.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2011