Maybe TMI: about Constipation

I have not been able to go poop in two days. I keep having the feeling that I need to go and I sit down and try and try, it hurts so bad. I also have a hemmohroid as well. I feel like everytime i try to push that I am pushing the hemmorhoid further out. I am not sure if that is possible but that is what it feels like. My stomach hurts really bad and I can't stop getting that feeling that I have to go. Is there anything I can do at home to help this, or what should I eat or drink to make it all better. By the way, I am taking prenatal vitamins because we are TTC. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Health

• Remember that extra iron, as in your supplement is constipating. Be sure and drink your 8 glasses of water (not cola, juice, etc. The body needs water to live and to operate correctly.) I would try a stool softener and drink an entire cup of warm water (with lemon and a touch of honey, or some herbal tea.) I drink a cup of warm water with a slice of ginger in it every morning. Remember that the colon takes the water and nutrients out of the mass coming from the stomach. That can leave the bulk to be so hard that it won't move, so again, water is needed to make this right. :) I know the feeling well. :) Hope you get some relief soon. If you are hearing "noises" from your belly, its probably air trapped with the bulk, so a stool softener or even mild laxative will work to clear out the entire colon.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:25 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I have been drinking lots of water daily, but I will definitely try some herbal tea or even a laxative. The only problem is, I really dont want to try to go anymore. It hurts so bad to try and have nothing that I am afriad if I really do have to go, I am not going to be able to. I am just tired of sitting there and trying to go if nothing is going to happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• First, DON"T PUSH! You'll just make things worse. Try sitting with a child's step-stool or a few thicck books under your feet to elevate your knees. Don't sit for longer than 10 minutes or so, that makes things worse, too. Just go back and try often, take a few walks to help things start moving, and lifasinoit's advice, too.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 10:47 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I got that(hemmoroids and constipation) real bad when I was pregnant, another reason why I stopped taking prenatals. It was making me sick to my stomach and consitpating me. I stopped them within a month and my son is a perfectly healthy baby. Just eat right. I ate tons of fruits, vegetables, and meats. I cut way back on fast food and felt a lot better.

Also, when I was pregnant and lived with a family member, I ate a couple of prunes a day. The lady I lived with told me to do that and it helped a lot.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• The prenatals are likely the culprit. Go to your local drug store and get some miralax. It is a stool softener, and helps with the pain of constipation too, and that is what you want. Make sure you are drinking lots of water too, and eating enough fiber. But for the immediate problem, try the Miralax...it works very well, and usually pretty quickly.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:46 PM on Nov. 21, 2008