Birth Control and Blood Pressure

I have been on Blood Pressure meds for about 2 years and use to have the Mirena but had it taken out because of pains about 3 years ago. I want to be put back on some kind of birth control but I doctor refused becuase of my BP Meds. Is there anyone taking BP med and on Birth control? Oh yeah, I am 28 mother of 1(biochild).

tgeary

Asked by tgeary at 11:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Health

• It's just not safe. Your doctor is right to recommend against hormonal birth control with high blood pressure. Hormonal birth control increases the risk of cardiovascular problems, and since you already have problems it's just not a good idea.

There are things you can do to get your bloodpressure down. Change your diet, sleeping and exercise habits. Salt isn't the enemy, necessarily, eat whole foods (nothing processed or out of boxes or cans if you can help it) and salt to taste. Get moderate exercise at least 3 times a week and make sure to get 8 hours of sleep. If you're very overweight that could be a contributing factor.

If you fix the BP problems then BC won't be an issue.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011