Is it against the law to pump your own gas?

In Oregon it is. Just wondering if they're any other states that don't allow you to pump your own gas.

Kathy675

Asked by Kathy675 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• Found this through a Google search:

New Jersey and Oregon are the only U.S. states that currently ban self-service gas stations.

The purpose of these laws was to protect consumers and gas station owners from costly, and possibly deadly, accidents. Better education and improved technology, however, have made pumping gas much safer and easier for consumers over the last 50 years. Since the 1970s, self-service gas stations have grown in popularity.

The New Jersey law was enacted in 1949 and the Oregon law in 1951. Each statute has stood up to several challenges in those two states.

Disabled motorists are most interested in seeing such laws survive. For those motorists with a disability, pumping gas is not an option and they depend on the employees of full-service stations.

Despite requirements outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act, many self-service stations do not provide a full-service option for disabled drivers
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Never heard of such a thing! This should be interesting to hear if there are other states that have that law

Answer by admckenzie at 11:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Hmm that would be nice.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• WA it's not. They actually look at you funny if you don't get out of your car to pump your own gas.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I knew that about Oregon. It's not in CO, but we dream about it when the high is -5°.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It's not illegal in Ohio. Heck, you have to pump your own gas at all of the gas stations in my area. I haven't seen a ''full serve'' gas station in years!!!
    ZBandMom

Answer by ZBandMom at 11:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Not in MO, thank goodness.. That would drive me crazy.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Fine with me! I hate doing it!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• no ive only herd of it in oregon. although at some places where i live they will pump ur gas for u but i never do i feel lazy.
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Not in NC or NV.
    NickLukeandEmma

Answer by NickLukeandEmma at 11:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2011