White Dog Hair

Ok...I adopted a Aust Cattle dog last year and unfortunately, he is mixed with something..and again unfortunately, the mix is short white hair that sheds. I have white hair everywhere..on my hard wood floors, on blankets, on beds,etc.

Now, I sweep, wash blankets, vaccum beds everyday and I just can't get the white hair to go away.

No, getting rid of my dog is not an option at all. He is a great therapy dog for my son with ADD/SPD.PDD/OCD, so he must stay.

Help me, please. Any ideas would be helpful

9tigger

Asked by 9tigger at 11:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Pets

• Chill out. Don't fret so much. Love the dog;' love the kid. Relax. A bit of dog hair won't kill you.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• ohhh...I love the dog and of course love my kids...but I just don't feel like my kids blankets are "clean" and my floors are clean...I guess the OCD in me coming out. Trust me....dog hair hasn't killed me yet and I don't think it ever will...
    9tigger

Comment by 9tigger (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'm a Siberian Husky owner, so I am definitely not a stranger to dog hair.

First off, I want to say THANK YOU for not allowing the option of getting rid of him. I see so many people get tired of their pets and not even think it's a bad thing to just send them to the pound.

My advice is to brush him and brush him often...you can never brush too much. Find out from a local groomer how often he needs bathed and bath him as often as possible...some dogs' skin are okay to bathe every day while others once a week or even once a month. Also talk to the groomer about the best type of brush for your dog's coat. It took me years to find the right one for my Huskies, but once I did...it was close to NO MORE SHEDDING.....in JULY! :-D

Good luck to you!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:05 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have the same problem. I sweep and vacumm at least 2-3 times a day. Still dog hair. Mine is a big dog so lots and lots of hair. I brush him and also use the hose of the vacumm on him. LOL, he likes it. Still constant hair loss. I have learned to live with it.
    :)
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Some mom's on here told me about the Furminator. What a lifesaver!! Our bulldog sheds like nothing I've even seen. The first time I used the Furminator on her, DH picked her up and had no fur on him! He had on a black shirt and she is white, so the fur is obvious.

It's a bit expensive, but so worth it!!!
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 6:28 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Brush him daily to twice a day. The fur is easier to take out of the brush or comb (my preference) than everywhere around your house.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2011