Would you let your husband buy/ride a motorcycle?

My husband rides his occasionally (on the rare days he's not working), and is about to buy a new one. I mentioned it on Facebook and just got pretty much lectured from his ex about how she would never allow her husband to drive one and how they aren't safe. Basically, she made it sound like I was a bad wife for allowing him to ride them. I mentioned that he deserves to do what he enjoys, especially when he gives me SO much. Then she brought up how she once say a video that he taped while riding it, so he's obviously NOT careful. I then politely informed her that the camera was actually built into his sunglasses. I felt like adding..."not that it's any of your business".

What do you think? Is it wrong to allow your husband to own a motorcycle, if he's careful and wears a helmet? Sure, it worries me sometimes, but it really make him happy, and I don't want to be the one to take that hobby away from him. I understand they can be dangerous, but am I supposed to forbid him from riding them for that reason?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:15 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• My husband would like a motorcycle and I really don't care if he gets one. He is a grown man and can ride a motorcycle if he wants! Within reason obviously, riding safetly and with protection and all. But honestly, you can find safety hazards in just about anything! Driving ANYTHING is scary to be honest!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 12:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• hahahaha he's a grown man....if he likes it, he likes it Settle down girls...lol
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• LET? What are we their mom? These are grown men who don't need permission from a wife to ride a motorcycle!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would not because I believe they are too dangerous. I would not want to be hit buy a car on a motorcycle. But at the same time he is his own. You can not make desicions for him. :\
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 12:21 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• He has one.

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:36 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My husband owns 3 motorcylces, one he bought and two he re-built with his brothers and dad. Both of us come from a family of bikers and grew up around motorcylces. If my husband wasn't safe while riding one than I'd have a problem with it but he rode his first motorcylce alone when he was 14, then got his motorcylce license when he was 16. I got mine when I was 19. Motorcycles and cars are something his dad used to bond with him and his brothers, and its now something my husband uses to bond with our children - in fact just this afternoon he was out in the garage working on his brother's bike with our 5 and 6 year old daughters (our sons were at my sister's house). My husband is very careful while riding, he's been in only one accident and it wasn't his fault - a woman went through a stop sign but luckily my husband wasn't going fast and had only minor injuries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Sure, why not? DH has a motorcycle but can't ride it until he get his motorcycle license and he has to get it registered and tagged.
    HKing01

Answer by HKing01 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My husband has a Harley and he loves it. He was in a really bad wreck where he broke his leg back before I met him, but it hasn't stopped him. I worry a little, but not much - he wears safety gear.

Answer by missanc at 10:35 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Ride, not a problem. Buy...right now, no way, we don't have extra money for that! But someday, yes, if he still wants one, and we have the extra money, I won't stop him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• That's what I'm saying. He's a grown man. He does need me to be his mother and tell him what he can and cannot do. Granted, if I told him not to, he wouldn't, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2011