is it possible that a infant has very small ear canal and he is not passing hearing test,do u think that later in life he'll get his hearing back if the canals grow with his age.plse reply

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not really sure but I do know that the human body is amazing and it adapts well from a young age...

I mean if the little girl with a birth defect can have half her brain removed to stop seizures and still be functioning and stuff, absolutely anything is possible!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• What kind of tests did you have done? Anything is possible I suppose, but if they said your infant has a hearing problem please follow up on it. It will have an effect on speech as the child grows. The sooner the intervention, the better on this.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• there might be fluid in the babys ear. my friend is going through that right now. they said the baby can hear he just isnt passing the hearing test. they said they will prob put tubes in his ears to drain it when he is a little older and see if it helps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Is that the Drs. diagnosis, that the ear canal is too small? Is your child hearing, just not passing the test or can they not hear?? Things may change as they grow. My sister is considered totally deaf in both ears, but her "hearing" has changed as she's gotten older. She says she hears some sounds now. Hearing aides never really helped my sister because of her type of hearing loss, but I know children who cannot hear a thing without aides that have them and when they're wearing them you wouldn't know that their hearing loss is as severe as it is. I've worked with deaf and Hard of Hearing kids for 8 years. If you have any questions or need to vent about anything contact me. Also, just know that my totally deaf sister just graduated with her BA in Psychology. Hearing loss does not limit ability whatsoever! Hugs!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Also, just want to add that if your child isn't hearing and the prognosis is that they won't, it's so important to start teaching sign language and learning it yourself RIGHT NOW! Developing language is so important to the way the rest of the brain functions. Worked with a kid once who's parents refused to learn how to talk to him. We caught him in the nick of time and started teaching him how to talk. Not sure how old your baby is, but it's never to early to start simple signs even when they're brand new. I'm not claiming ot be an expert, but I do have a lot of experience and understanding.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2008