Drop side cribs

have any of you heard about the drop side cribs being allegal, and sooo dangerous. i had no idea and i have a drop side crib. should i go buy a different crib?

KATIEANDROWY

Asked by KATIEANDROWY at 12:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard they're moving that direction - I don't see how they can make use of a crib illegal - though they can make it illegal to sale it, etc. I have 2 dropside cribs - I use them still (well, I just have one up because I only have one little one in the crib at this time - lol). BUT I probably won't stop using them but I'm ALWAYS and I do mean ALWAYS mindful to check to make SURE the side is securely raised - and keep the mattress on the lowest possible option. If the hardware should not remain as secure as it should be, the crib will immediately be replaced but it's on it's 4th kid now and it's fine :)

Good luck :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• in anything you put your kid in, check double check and recheck to make sure it is secure, there are no missing parts, damaged parts etc. i co sleep right now, but ive heard if it has a good latch when the rail is up then you are fine.
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 12:31 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have a drop side, but when they were recalled, I got the kit to "fix" it. So, it's no longer drop side. So that may be an option for you. I was a little too paranoid about it to be comfortable not fixing it. I'd rather have a new crib, though, since the side is really high in the up position that it is now set in, and I'm a short lady.
    JadedPirate

Answer by JadedPirate at 12:36 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• yes im a short lady too, and i can barely put him in there with the matress all the way up. i cant magine when he gets bigger and the mattress is lower... i think i should go look at cribs tomorrow something a little more practical for us.
    KATIEANDROWY

Comment by KATIEANDROWY (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• LOL JadedPirate - girl I'm NOT a short lady and I can't even THINK about reaching all the way down with the side up. I'll probably have to get another in short order because we have foster babies come into placement here - we take emergency placements - so we get calls at various hours of the night (sometimes day but usually night) to take babies who are removed. SO that'll probably be something we have to get soon :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:47 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yeah I've heard about people disliking them. My nephews crib was recalled because people were putting it together wrong, and babies were able to fall down between the sides or something and suffocate or something like that. I dont remember it was a few years ago.
    I had to buy two cribs cause I have twins haha, and the ones we bought were cheaper.. so not as super duty stable as some... so the drop sides are weird and wouldn't stay up! so we put screws in them so they dont fall and then I put those sides against the wall so they don't even touch those sides anyway
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:49 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Ours was recalled because of the drop side. I called the manufacturer and they sent me a free repair kit and now it is perfectly safe. I wouldnt go out and buy a new one, call the manufacturer and see what they offer. Some of them are even sending new cribs.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• ok so today me and my husband went and just bought a new crib! this crib was just waaay to tall for me and almost impossible for me to put my son in anyway... it was a hand me down from our aunt so i didnt feel to terrible about buying a new one, and im alot happier cause it alot lower to the ground..since im sooooo short plus it was on sale ...thanks ladies :)
    KATIEANDROWY

Comment by KATIEANDROWY (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Mar. 5, 2011