Is there a limit on how long to hold ur child

my baby boy is a month old but refuses to sleep unless hes in my arms

Dani3lla

Asked by Dani3lla at 1:28 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Oh also, both of my kids slept on my chest in my bed with me for the first weeks. With DS I was scared to have him in the bed(new mum, terrified of everything) but with DD, I didn't bother with a bassinet because I knew she'd just end up in bed with me anyways. So she slept snuggled in my arms or on her tummy on my chest as soon as she was born.

It's a great way to bond and get in all of those snuggles that they give out less frequently as they get older. Plus if you're breastfeeding it's nice because you don't have to get up out of bed to go feed the baby, you just roll over and nurse away.
    I barely woke up half the time. Lol!
    Everyone is better rested because I didn't have to get up and the baby didn't have to cry to get my attention and then wait for me to drag my butt out of bed. Everything was easy and accessible.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You know - I personally have always done what I needed and what my baby needed - sometimes I need more - sometimes they do - and I try to roll with that. Treasure those moments because they pass WAY too fast. Once they're gone, you'll find yourself longing for them.

Congrats on your little one!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:31 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My DD was the same way. She wanted to be held ALL of the time. While it got very draining, 20 months later I miss it =(. I miss all of the cuddles and snuggles. I get them occasionally now, but not as often as I'd like.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:37 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I hold mine whenever they want. It's made seriously comfortable children who know they are loved and that I will tend to them whenever they need me.
    MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:44 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No there isn't IMO.Enjoy it while you can,they grow up so fast .GL and congratulations!
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 1:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't think so. I co-sleep with my baby girl and did with my son until he was 1.5yrs old. He's pretty independent to, so I don't think it spoiled him any. And I agree with the PP, enjoy it while you can. :) DS doesn't snuggle with me as often anymore :/
    littlemama810

Answer by littlemama810 at 1:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I highly suggest getting a sling, that way you can still give your baby that closeness and have free hands to do other things. :)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:10 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You can't spoil a baby if that's waht you are asking. Babies need a lot of comforting. Just a short while ago he was in warm cozy fluid. It was dark and there wasn't much noise.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• At this age you can not spoil a baby but you might want to get into a sleep time routine now. We always found it worked best for us to get into a routine that was always the same.  Bath, diaper change,  swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. Not all of these but what works for you.  When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us.  Our babies were great sleepers and happy.  GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You spoil a child by buying them whatever they want and not teaching them responsibility. You do not spoil a child with unconditional love or by meeting their needs. Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves is a wonderful parenting book http://www.naomialdort.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 4:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2011