Anybody NOT told their child(ren) about Santa? For non-religious reasons...

I'm a new mommy and "Santa" always came to visit me and my family when I was little and even though my 4 month old obviously won't comprehend the idea of Santa Claus yet I've been thinking about never even getting that tradition started? Yes it's fun and something to look forward to but I think I'd just feel akward making up a lie to my child and holding it against him all year whenever he does something bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Well my DD is almost 2 and w did the Santa thing last year and will again but as to actually explaining it...well maybe she'll be ready next year.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:28 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• we haven't reached that bridge yet but i am not tellling my dd that there is a santa only to break her heart years later
    sierra_617

Answer by sierra_617 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I guess I don't look at it that way... To me, Santa, The tooth fairy, The Easter bunny (or anything of the like for that matter) are like fairy tales.

Are you never going to let your children watch movies like Cinderella...they're fairy tales. What about when your child gets a little older...you better be careful not to EVER tell a small fib because theres no difference...it's still a lie.

Why hold it against them?...I never tell my children..."You better be good or Santa won't come see you"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Awww, Santa is part of the magic of Christmas, IMO. Remember how excited you felt seeing toys "magically" appear Christmas morning?
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 10:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Yes, I remember how exciting it was! But like sierra said I don't think I could break his heart later, and just IMO movie fairy tales are much different from telling your child that someone actually entered your house. But thank you for the replies! All I wanted was opinions :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• No, we don't do the Santa thing. How can you tell your kids not to lie and then lie to them? I know, I hear about "depriving" them of the fantasy. My kids love Christmas just as much as any other, without us lying to them to convince them that some fat guy in a red suit squeezes down our chimney to bring them gifts! We have shared with them the real story about St. Nicholas and told them that "Santa" is just a character like the cartoons they watch on TV. Don't you think they will feel betrayed later when they find out the truth? Just my humble opinion!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I agree. Don't be a grinch. let the magic flow! Parents never have to tell kids the truth til they ask. Even then, "if you don't believe then Santa doesn't come." Simple.
    Lets not forget the real reason for x-mas though. Baby Jesus. Love the pic. of Santa kneeling @ Baby Jesus's crib!!
    just1moment

Answer by just1moment at 10:41 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Not for religious reasons, because I am not religious. I am a christian, but it doesn't have anything to do with our unsantalike behavior. Its just that my dad never did it. It was a fun made up thing but we were never led on to believe in any sort of fairy tale. We do know the history behind the real man and I have explained that to my kids. I let them believe what they wanted to, but never created any scenario. They just picked it up from tv and school and then I never denied or confirmed their beliefs. That way, I would not be accused of lying, but yet, I didn't spoil their fun either. I think my 6 yr old thinks santa is real. He will figure it out on his own.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:45 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I was going to say, the whole point of Christmas is NOT Santa, We are celebrating the birth of Christ. However when you ask most school age children these days who was born on Chrismas, most of them will say "Santa!!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I looooove the magic of christmas, I was raised in a poor family and it was the only time of year we were really "spoiled"
    I remember christmas being soo special, and I want my children to have that.
    My family also made christmas presents every year for each family member so that we were able to "give" as well as recieve. I remember feeling great when I gave too. So I think it is just a matter of your values and how you want your children to remember things.
    To me Santa is the ultimate giver and our children should want to be like that. A giver!! Instead of always recieving.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Nov. 21, 2008