Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I am 18 just out of high school, i am interested in becoming a math teacher, how do i persue this and how long does the schooling take?


Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Call the colleges near you. It really all depends on how much schooling you want to take but I believe the least you would need is a Bachelors, which is normally a 4 year degree (can be done quicker obviuosly).

    Answer by ILoveCade at 2:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • You need a Bachelors of Art in Secondary Education and a teaching certificate. You can get a degree plan from the college you plan to attend.

    Good luck and good luck getting a job...hopefully the economy will be better by then...right now they're laying teachers off everywhere.

    Why didn't your high school couselor help you get this info and help you apply for colleges???

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • I recommend a Bachelor of Science in Secondary Mathematics Education. It's generally a four year program, depending on how many credits (if any) you already have and how full you want your schedule. Oh, and since you are interested in a core subject area, you shouldn't have a problem getting a job. Many states even offer to reimburse your tuition if you teach for x years in harder to fill areas. Best wishes!

    Answer by jessihernandez at 3:05 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • Also check out your state requirements. In many states you have to get your masters degree within a certain number of years to stay certified after you start teaching.

    Answer by elizabr at 6:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • You'll definitely need a Bachelor's degree and, depending on where you live/where you want to teach, you may even need your Master's degree.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • I have a friend who is a teacher. First she had to get a bachelor degree, which takes 5 years at most schools nowadays. Then once she had a job for a few years, she went back to school and got her masters and the school district she's working for paid for it.

    Your best bet is to make an appointment at the local university and talk to an admissions counselor.

    Answer by MoversShakers at 3:03 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • You will need a Bachelor's of Arts in Secondary Math Education. It is a 4 year degree. Most schools now want a you to have a masters or working toward one to teach in school district.

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

  • The bachelor's degree will take 4 years unless you take summer courses too. When I was looking for my job I was told by various principals that I should not get my master's degree first b/c schools will have to hire you at a higher salary with a master's degree. I ended up landing a job in a district that doesn't pay extra if you have a master's anyway. The hardest part about getting the degree is the student teaching part.

    Answer by MommyH2 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2011