T-fal vs stainless steel cookware

I need to buy a new set of pots and pans, but can't decide on which one is safer for my family. T-fal is great because it's non-stick, but how really safe is it? Isn't stainless steel safer to use?

andrea770

Asked by andrea770 at 4:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Health

• T-fal is great like u said, but "stainless steel" there is no such thing. If u use that for a few yrs, it will show stains. But then again T-fal scratches real easy if u do not use anything metal, or rub with a sponge that is not used for t-fal. But depending on what kinda budget u are on, there are some cookware on a site called www.stonedine.com The pots and pans are a mix between t-fal and stainless steel. Ohhhh they are sooooooo wonderful!! U can use metal utensils, food will not stick, u don't even have to use cooking sprays!! The only thing is they are expensive, but well worth it. I had mine now for about a yr, and no signs of wear,. or scratches. I use my electric mixer to mash potatoes,, and doesn't scratch at all!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:26 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Non-stick cookware is highly toxic and should not be in your home.
    Cast iron is best; check second hand shops and garage sales for the best prices.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Stay away from non-stick cookware. Use cast iron.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Non-stick cookware is not good to use cast iron is best you can always check second hand shops and garage sales for the best prices or post on certain websites.  They outlast every other brand and type of cookware

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:31 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• T-fal has handles that are very hot, but according to my mom are very good.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have both. I like the T-Fal better because its nonstick and the handles do not get hot. The SS always gets food stuck on it and the handle heats up really hot. But the pots are okay when other liquid is in it, like steaming veggies. When it comes to stains, the T-Fal definatly leaves stains on the bottom of the pans and and the paint chips off after a couple years.
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 9:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have both, plus cast iron. I prefer non-stick for a few things like scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, few things like that. I prefer cast iron for a few things, and I use my stainless the most. I dislike stainless for eggs, period. I like cast iron because I can start things on the stove and finish them in the oven - without having to use multiple pans/dishes. They all have advantages & disadvantages, but if you can only get 1 for now, go with the stainless - non-stick really isn't good for you, especially if it gets scratched or burned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have used T-fal and other non stick cook ware all my life. I am 36 yr old. The only time its "toxic" is if u heat the pan up first with out anything in it and it starts smoking, thjen it can be toxic, the fumes are toxic for sure. But thats why it says Not to warm up".
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Cast Iron
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011