Any "GREAT" vacation suggestions in the US for this summer?

Seems like my family goes to the same vacation spot every year. I have an 11 yr. old son and a 16 yr. old daughter. Just wondering if anyone has gone on summer vacations that their family and really enjoyed it? To avoid flying, we would prefer the East Coast. Thanks!!!!!

anichols1

Asked by anichols1 at 6:28 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Travel

• Come to Chicago! There is so much to do and see, and much of it is free. You don't need a car to get around. We have lovely beaches, lots of shopping, museums, a free (world class) zoo. Your sixteen year old might enjoy visiting university campuses (Loyola, DePaul, University of Chicago, Northwestern University).
    Send me a message if you have any questions!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Girls or boys? It makes a difference in their interests. Like roadtrips to the Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, Camping, Riding the Amtak instead of flying. Visiting a different city in a different state and go exploring. If you are from the east coast, head west and visa versa. If you like food, check out the cities culinary treats. We have Six Flags Magic Mountain, Seaworld, and Disneyland in California.
    AlyssaM0mmy

Answer by AlyssaM0mmy at 6:37 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• When our kids were that age we did a trip to Colonial Virginia. You could by a pass that got you into Williamsburg, Jamestown and the Busch Park, they even had a shuttle bus that went from place to place. My personal favorite is the Barrier Islands off the Coast of NC.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 7:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• The Outer Banks of NC. Beautiful unspoiled beaches, wild horses, Wright Brothers museum, lighthouse tours, etc. Wonderful place to visit! Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA are also great "beach cities" to visit.

Answer by missanc at 7:48 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• 5BabyBees: I agree! That's an awesome trip, we took the same route a few times when I was little, from FL to Boston, hitting the same places. Great family trip :)
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Take the auto train. It runs from Virginia to Florida. The northern end(in Lorton, VA) is a few miles south of Washington, DC and on I95.
    You will be relaxed when you get there, and have your car, so you won't need to rent one. The southern end is in Sanford, FL. Going to the beach on the gulf coast would let you see the sun set over the water.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 9:37 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Thanks ladies, I have some research to do now. Thanks for the great ideas!!!!!

anichols1

Comment by anichols1 (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2011