Are there different degrees of Autism?

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 6:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh yes. My nephew is like mom2's dd - he has such a mild form of it that if you didn't know he's autistic, you wouldn't know. He's fully functioning, he does have his little quirks, but he's totally opposite of most of they typical "symptoms" usually looked at - I think it's because of the schooling & therapy he's gotten, because he did show more signs when he was little.

But then on the other hand there's a little girl in our church that you can tell, just by watching her for 5-10 minutes (as long as you know what autism is - ignorant people think she's just undisciplined).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• yes, there are. Autism is referred to as a spectrum because people can have a wide range of symptoms all of varying degrees.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I know a half dozen kids with autism, some you can barely even tell. However, my niece is 5 and can't even ask for a glass of water. She isn't non-verbal so much as her mother lets her get away with pointing at stuff and grunting and doesn't make her say her words. If you say "what do you want?" clearly and let her know she's not getting it until she says the words, she WILL say it. My sister just doesn't want to "waste" the time it takes to give her daughter a good life :(
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 7:56 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• YES, there is a whole spectrum of autism that ranges from developmental delays, aspergers to rett syndrome.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:27 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yes, my dd is so mild you wouldnt know she had aspergers unless I told you and pointed out her quirks.

Some are very severe, unable to live alone or care for themselves.

And there are many many more who fall anywhere between those two ranges.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2011