Is it a common agreement that they just exist?

Is it a true statement that most people who believe in gods or "God" believe that he or she has always existed? Do you question the idea behind that? Do you think that someone or something must have created the intelligence behind that? Someone once told me that quantum physics proves that there is intelligent design behind our creation and that is enough proof that "God" exist. I don't know much about it so I am curious.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 6:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think it is very interesting that people all over the world believes in "GOD". I don't mean just the christian god but every god. The mayans believe in the concept of a higher being. Across he world, the chinese believe in alot of higher beings. Why would people from all over the world have similar views? There must be something.
    AlyssaM0mmy

Answer by AlyssaM0mmy at 7:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• That is what had me thinking Alyssa..I am not sure if perhaps people needed a god to understand how they came to be or what but in my eyes i find it very interesting. I love the common view of peace and finding happiness within too. I love studying beliefs so this struck up my curiosity
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 7:05 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'm open to the idea of God appearing or something one day, with the thought of Him not "always" being here. I don't think that He needs to be completely eternal or perfect in order to be worthy of respect or for us to have a relationship with Him. His possible appearance or arrival doesn't negate that I believe He's been here through the whole history of this world, that He was responsible for the world and our own existence. So whether or not He was "created" Himself doesn't change that I believe He is responsible for *our* creation. (though I do believe He is one and only, so I don't think He was "created" by another, if that makes sense - whether He "evolved" or appeared, etc).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Since you mentioned quantum physics, you might interested in reading this. Some of us believe God=Universe or Nature and is not personal or a creator--just the impersonal forces or energy of Nature. The Universe creates is self-contained and essentially creates itself. Nothing can exist outside it to be its source or purpose. I'm more of a Naturalistic or Scientific Pantheist. The writer below is more of a Classical Pantheist, but the views are similar.

What's an Omniverse?

Who Created the Omniverse?
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• This is an interesting link too.

"The quantum theory of gravity has opened up a new possibility, in which there would be no boundary to space time. . . There would be no singularities at which the laws of science broke down and no edge of space-time at which one would have to appeal to God or some new law to set the boundary conditions for space-time. . . The universe would be completely self-contained and not affected by anything outside itself. It would neither be created nor destroyed. It would just BE. . . What place, then, for a creator?"~Stephen Hawking,

Pantheism: The Self-Existing Cosmos

Yes, I think most people who believe in any sort of of god or gods believe they always existed, but some have anthropomorphic traits to relate and understand the world around them. Some believe that everything is God or part of the Universe, but it's impersonal though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:50 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• – collapse
    Replace 'god' with fairy / unicorn / humans can never fly.

Just because people think it, doesn't mean it's true.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 9:47 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• As far as I am aware, yes, they believe for the most part that their God has always existed and then created the universe and often state the Conservation of mass as their reasoning (or the blanket statement "Something can't come from nothing" ). Interestingly enough they do not believe that the universe can have always existed (merely in different forms which upholds the conservation of mass). The universe must have been "created" yet their God has always just "been"(violating their own statement of "something can't come from nothing")
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• When I was in Sunday School, I asked the associate pastor, "If God created the universe, who created God?"

The answer he gave me was hugely unsatisfying and patronizing.  He replied, "To save yourself nightmares, just believe that God has always been."

That may be where my journey away from Christianity began.  If God has always "just been there", and that's a good enough explanation for many, then why can't energy just always having been there be a good enough explanation for the creation of the earth and its inhabitants?  Why must the creation of our world, and the universe, be attributed to some anthropomorphic being?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:09 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Why must the creation of our world, and the universe, be attributed to some anthropomorphic being?

Of course it does not HAVE to be- but there is no harm in believing this to be true as I do- when given the same questions, people arrive at different answers and neither have to be right for all, they just need to be right for you-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:47 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No. Abrahamic beliefs center around an ever present god. Other religions do not. There are creation stories involved with many pantheons, and others are more about energy or the force of nature, which implies it came with the universe.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2011