When do you take your child in for a fever? To how high do you let it go?

Well my daughter who will be 6 next month was sick yesterday she had a fever of 100.3 then she slept most of the day and was throwing up (she is drinking) yesterday she was eating small things like toast, and vanilla waffers, but that is all she would eat (which I didn't really care about since you don't want to eat when you are sick) anyway, by dinner time her temp was to 99.6 and she was kinda acting herself she was finally sitting up watching tv in her room and coloring and coming down stairs to ask something or whatever. I woke her up for school this morning (she said she felt better cause she really wants to go to school), but I took her temp it was 102.3 so it went from 99.6 last night to 102.3 this morning. I went upstairs a little bit ago and she is throwing up again. So I wanted to know how long you let your childs temp go when you take them to the ER? Her doctor says not until it is 105, but I personally think that is to high and wouldn't wait that long. I think I would go at about 103 or a little over. When would you go?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:56 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• fevers tend to rise at night and during sleep. fevers are also a good thing, a sign her body is fighting the infection. as long as she is staying hydrated, do not worry about the fever unless you can't get it to come down at all with alternated tylenol & motrin. you could call her doctor's office though and ask to be sure. there isn't much they can do for a fever anyway besides hydrate her.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• if you can get the temp down, i wouldnt worry too much. my son spikes 103/104 when hes sick. do u so the motrin / tylenol trick?
    ncmomma3152

Answer by ncmomma3152 at 7:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Only the 102.3 counts as a fever of note, and it's not high. There's no reason to go to the ER for a fever of 103, but I'd call your pediatrician's office for advice on the vomiting if it continues.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have 5 kids and after dealing with so much over the years I dont take them in until the doctor tells me to. I usually will call the doctor or nurse on call when they get a fever of atleast 101.5 and then I ask them if they would like me to come in or go to the ER. I get specific information on what they want me to give them, and at what point to bring them in. My dd just turned 6 and had the flu last month for two weeks with a complication of an ear infection. She didnt go in at all until her follow up. Her pediatrician did not want to risk exposing her to anything else. We did the motrin/tylenol combo for 3 days and her fever finally broke.

Answer by gemgem at 7:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't take them in until over 104. This has never happened. I would treat with motrin and fluids. Call the doctor if you are concerned.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:06 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• There is a huge risk of secondary infections when you take an ill child to a germ-filled doctor's office. Unless your child is delirious, the fever is over 104, or has seizures, just let the virus run its course.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:10 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Her doctor said wait until it reaches 105??? Is he/she NUTS?? that is a dangerously high fever & would be a red flag that something is terribly wrong! Your daughter needs medical attention now if her fever is consistently going up & down. I'm guessing it goes down only after you've given her children's medicine? A fever is an indication she is fighting an infection somewhere, & infections can take a very serious turn, very quickly. When my daughter was little (32 yrs ago) if her fever reached higher than 100, off we went to see the pediatrician.

thats what the hospital told us one time too (105), but I wouldn't want to wait that long. No I didn't give her anything yesterday it just went down on its own. All I gave her was peto for her belly.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:22 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i think you are fortunate to have a dr. that says to wait. a fever in and of itself is not a problem. throwing up is your daughters way of getting rid of something that her body does not want or need.
    keep her comfortable and hydrated.

personally, we have never given fever reducers to our children, and we have 5. we have never been to the emergency room either. i have never taken a sick child to the dr. either.
    i have never seen my kids fevers go over 103. i did not worry. i just offered fluids all the time and snuggled with them : )

i am sure your daughter will be much better very soon!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• A fever by itself that does not respond to tylenol or motrin, I would wait until 104 and straight to the ER. But considering the other symptoms I would set an appt. now. A temp. of 101 will get a child sent home from school so it doesn't have to be really high.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 8:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2011