High School Show Week

My senior daughter is in Show Choir and they are having a huge "Happening" tomorrow ... she has had rehearsals and recording for the past 3 weeks that gets her home after 11 at least 3 days a week, like everyone else in all the choirs her grades drop (AP classes) and she is exhausted. One Wednesday night kids were at school until 2am. Should the school continue to allow this, Choir Happening has been going on for 25 years and this has been how it has operated the whole time.

pammomof9

Asked by pammomof9 at 8:15 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Wonder if there are state regulations about practice times for musical groups. My daughter's in the marching band and they have never gone that late except the one time a bus broke down coming back from a competition.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If it has been happening for 25 years, I think they are pretty much set in their ways......

Answer by older at 8:21 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• That's really late! My daughter has a friend in competitive cheer, and their practices do not run past 6p,m

Answer by rkoloms at 8:21 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Before making a decision, I would need to hear the other side and reports from present and past participants.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Wow, That is nuts. My daughter is in middle school drama and they will rehearse until 6pm at the latest during production week. School starts at 7:25 so it is a long day. The drama club at the high school will rehearse until 9:00 or so during production week. As much as my daughter loves Drama and singing, I don't think I would allow her to participate in something that kept her at school until those hours. Academics come first in our home. How are these kids staying awake in class?
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 8:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No! I don't care if she was at school, she should not be out until 2 a.m.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 6:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2011