Bringham Young University cuts their star basketball player because he had premarital sex, what are your thoughts?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 8:30 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think it's ridiculous in this day and age BUT he did sign a code of ethics and he broke it. I wish this would happen in other schools and other leagues. Cam Newton's dad was convicted of a pay-for-play scam and his kid is still playing; so wrong. I wish the powers that be had more balls and enforced the eligibility requirements.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No comments on people private lives....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 8:41 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Well I went to a private seminary college and they had all kinds of rules. Some I didnt agree with. But when I signed up I knew what I was getting myself into and I followed them. I dont see why he would be treated any differently? I am sure he knew going in what the rules were. If he doesnt like them then I guess he can withdraw and attend a college without those rules.

Answer by gemgem at 8:42 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I think if they cut all the players that have pre-marital sex, they wouldn't have a team. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:44 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My thoughts are if you don't like the rules at a religious institution, don't attend school there.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• He understood the rules when he decided to play for the team and when he decided to attend school there.  He could have decided to attend school somewhere else if he didn't like the rules.  Many people go there because of the rules and want them to remain.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• rules are rules. Assuming that he knew the rules, he is being punished accordingly. I don't have to agree with the no premarital sex thing, but I do have to respect the school for standing up for their beliefs. So does he. These days so many people think that the rules apply only to other people. Good for the school for not doing that.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:49 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• He signed the code of conduct and was more than old enough to UNDERSTAND what he signed. I am glad that they enforced their rules because so many kids today get just a slap on the wrist and are told not to do it again and sent on their merry way.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I thought this was a religous !!!! school I thought the fundamental principles of the Bible and Gods teachings are forgiveness. This student made a mistake just like all of us have done. Everyone is so fast to judge this kid because of his bad deciscion why? I really dont think his swex life no matter what he signed or where he goes to school is anyones buisness but his own. It seems the news and the public are ready to cruxify this guy just becasue his judgement skills where not working so good one day. I think punishment and public outrage needs to be placed in the right spot and not on an adults sex life which I personal could care less about.
    Whitney810

Answer by Whitney810 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• same thing i said yesterday....their school, their rules. his choice to attend, his choice to agree to their rules, his choice to break their rules.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:26 AM on Mar. 4, 2011