• In the Spotlight:

What is your version of St. Nicholas?

I was taught that he was a young man whose parents died and left him a lot of money. One night he heard a girl crying because she couldn't get married, her parents couldn't afford the dowry. So in the night, he gathered together some gold coins into a bag and threw them up into the chimney and they fell down onto the hearth.
Then he went home and thought about the the poor mans other two daughters, so the next two nights he did the same thing. In the spring all three girls were married.

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I've never heard that story, it's very nice! We were always taught it originated with an old priest who felt sorry for kids with no toys.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 11:43 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Oh that's a cool story :D

I was always taught about the Coca-Cola version of Santa. Just a jolly fat man in a red and white suit with a beard that loves to give toys to good girls and boys. That rhymed...haha!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:43 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I've never heard that story either! I always thought it was the story from A Year Without A Santa Claus show that's on every year!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:56 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I also heard it was a preist actually named ST.Nick,and he gave out to the poor,and the tradition went o year after year (until I was born,then I think he died) JKidin.but that is what I remember.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2008