binkies

how do i get my 4yr old tp throw out her binkies?HELP

nicky317

Asked by nicky317 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Spend a few weeks telling her about the Binky Fairy, who comes and collects binkies from big kids who don't need them anymore and then gives them to poor little babies who need them. Make a big deal out of how good it is to have the Binky Fairy come.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:36 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I've heard some really great ideas for this, not had to use any myself, my daughter is a thumb sucker and son gave up the binkie as soon as his teeth came in.

you can do a binkie fairy idea similar to tooth fairy. tell your child that the binkie fairy is going to take the binkie because it's for babies and he/she isn't a baby anymore. the "binkie fairy" leaves a big kid toy in it's place.

plant a "binkie tree" bury it in the yard, under a plant and let your child tend to the plant by watering it etc. he/she will really enjoy the process of taking care of the plant and will get a learning experience from it too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• my daughter used to chew on her binkies. so finally i told her when u chew them up they are trash and i am not buying any more. so when the last one was chewed. i asked her "now where does it go" she said" the trash" so we put in the trash and she was done. she was around 3 ish. but now she sucks her thumb.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 11:59 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• With my son, I started limiting when he could have it, like when he was in bed and in the car. And I quit buying them, so as they got lost or chewed on, he had less of them. (I actually helped a few get 'lost' because he had tons of them!) Finally he was down to one. We went over to a friends house one night and he left it there. So after that he was done. He did cry about it that night, and he asked for it for about a week, but he got over it. I had put it off for a long time because he was soooo attached to his binkies and I was so afraid how he would react to it. But it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be! Good Luck!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I didn't like this suggestion from my daughter's speech therapist, but I'll pass it along anyway. She said to cut a little bit off of the nipple each week, so eventually there is nothing left of the nipple to suck on and while this process is happening, talk to her about how when it's all gone, she doesn't need it anymore.

I get the idea behind it but I don't like the idea of cutting the nipple; seems like a chocking hazard to me if a piece comes off while she's sucking on it. Or maybe I'm just a worry-wart. Good luck.
    Kristin21

Answer by Kristin21 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Since she is older, will the binky fairy work? This never worked with my kids, but they were two when we ditched the binky and didn't really understand.

We cut a tiny hole in the nipple and slowly cut more and more off until there was nothing left but the handle. Worked like a charm with my first daughter. I wouldn't talk to her about what you're doing--she'll blame you. When she notices, just tell her it is broken and you don't have another one. We were in the process of doing this with my 2.5 year old until she lost her binky last week. So, we went cold turkey, and it was not that bad. One bad night (up until 11:00) and a rough time with nap the next day, but no word about the binky since. Good luck!
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• have her gather ALL ALL ALL of them up, wrap them in a beautiful package and "send" them to the new babies. and do it ASAP. i was a professional nanny for 4 years and I nannied a 4 year old boy who didn't get rid of the bink until almost 4. his face muscles ATROPHIED and he is 6 now and in intensive speech therapy. plus, since kids could not understand him, he has a hard time making friends.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:49 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Lots of good suggestions here - the Binky Fairy - killer good! Bottom line, they need to go. I would try to do it the nice way (see suggestions) but I wouldn't take too long about it (pick one or two suggestions and then stop). Then, down comes the foot and let the tears fall where they may. Its for his/her own good. Good luck!
    pullinkytink

Answer by pullinkytink at 7:32 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I had the same problem with my 4 year old ... it was the hardest thing ever!!! Potty training was easier. I started out slowly, we took the binky away during the day and she could only have it night, that was alright with her and she would even put it away after a few days. Then one night I just decided to try it out and I told her we couldnt find it and we'd look for it in the morning, that didnt go over well and she cried but not for too long. The next day she didnt ask about it because we had already established that we dont use a binky when the sun is awake, by bedtime she was upset that we hadnt looked for it at all. I let her cry it out pretty much, she cried about three nights and then she was over it, she stopped asking for it. It was tough because I really wanted to give it back the first night, she was an emotional wreck lol. You'll do fine, and remember that it will get easier!
    Good luck!
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2008