Do you concider this rude?

My dog is about to have puppies for the second time (I will be getting her fixed after this litter, so no bashing). I gave one to my neighbor who already had 3 dogs and sold the rest. Well, when she found out my dog is about to have puppies her and her teen daughter said that they would take one. To be honest I don't want to give them one because they have 4 dogs now and I'd could really use the money right now and of course they will expect the puppy for free. I sold the last litter for $250 each and I made sure that they went to wonderful homes and that's what I plan on doing for these. I actually interview people and then decide who gets the puppies. She said she would like one for her college son who lives in an apartment, which I don't think is a good idea. She just automatically assumes that I am going to give her another puppy for free again. Why can't she just appreciate that I already gave her a puppy for free and not expect it again?

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 9:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• I would just be honest and tell her this time you plan to sell all of them, but she is welcome to buy one from you if she wants to.

Answer by gemgem at 9:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't know if it's rude. Maybe a little presumptuous, but if you don't want to give her one, then don't. If you're afraid it will be too uncomfortable with her, you can always say you have potential buyers for the pups already lined up, which could kinda sorta be true, right?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:14 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• yep, what gemgem said. just be straight-up with her, and let her know the price of the dog.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:15 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• yes i would tell her that all the pups have already been reserved.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Just tell her you've already found homes for all of them and if one falls through then you will offer it to her first.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:26 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i would be honest and tell her that you are planning to sell the litter of pups and you need the extra money
    jennifer41587

Answer by jennifer41587 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Yes I find it rude.  She just automatically assumed that you are going to give her yet ANOTHER expensive dog for free.  I can appreciate what your doing with the interviews and all that and I think that you've been more than generous.  I would just tell her that these pups are already reserved.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Well, if you lie to her and say they are all taken, then you don't find homes for the puppies then you look stupid.

So I would either be straight and tell her you don't want to give them one, or just tell them they have to buy one like everyone else.

Just personally, if you weren't a rescue, and not the animal shelter and you were selling me a puppy I would probably just go somewhere else if I needed to be interviewed about my personal life and called back later. I've seen this happen before. It may have worked for you the first time, but that doesn't work every time. That's how I got my puppy for free, no one would take them the second litter around. Are these purebred? People can just go on craigslist and get a pup for $50 now, easy.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Just another side of the spectrum. Nothing more.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would just say that they puppies are already spoken for. It is hard to argue with that, there won't be hurt feelings. I suppose it is one of those "white lies".
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2011