What are some things to do at home?

I have a three year old that I am trying to get active in doing crafts but I have no idea what to do with him. His attention span is very short.

a.wright194

Asked by a.wright194 at 9:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• We did collages. They were really easy. You just get some old magazines, construction paper and glue sticks and help him make a collage. It doesnt have to be specific just anything he likes. We also during spring go outside and I let mine "plant" sunflowers in their peat pot. We would wrap a sunflower seed in a papetowel and wet it and wait for some roots to come out and then transfer it to the peat pot, and then eventually into the ground. My dd loved these sorts of projects.

I also get foam cut outs and we make things like hats, do not disturb signs, and other things holiday specific (Christmas ornaments, Easter things etc).

Answer by gemgem at 9:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• We have done paper machet (sp), little books from magazine cut outs (senses, where every page has a different sense and the pictures show what you can "do" with that sense....seasons, where each page has a different season and the pictures show what you do/eat/wear that season, etc), and sorting out mixed beads and then making patterns with them on a pipe cleaner for a bracelet.

Right now, our coolest project (by far!), is our tadpoles I bought online. You can get them with nothing "sprouted" yet, or with their legs already...and every few days I have my daughter draw a picture in a little journal of her tadpoles. Then she describes for me what changed since last time. Thank god my sister said she would put these frogs in her terrarium when they're done growing.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Familyfun.go.com
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Go to your local craft store there is usually a whole host of craft ideas and products.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I love tub crayons and paints. I will put my son in the tub with them and he plays until he's all pruney lol.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 4:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I love all these ideas so far! On the same lines as the tadpoles, my DD did caterpillars once- they drew pictures of them, then the cocoon as the caterpillars built it, then the butterflies later. She talked about that one for weeks! lol I'm teaching my kids to sew- you might think 3 is a bit young for that, but you can get the bigger blunt needles and yarn and start like that with some plastic canvas. Or you can do beading- that would be a lot of fun for a 3 year old too :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I was going to say collage...cutting things from old magazines is fun...I still do it sometimes.

Playdough and clay

painting, fingerpainting

build a birdhouse

make some pasta art or bean art. We bought a variety of shaped and textured pasta and a bag of dried beans...the soup mix kind that has a variety in there. We glued them into designs on construction paper.

Pasta or bead jewelry...good for hand-eye coordination

making cookies...don't need cookie cutters...it's more fun to shape them like you would playdough, and then bake.

Hope that helps.
    struezel

Answer by struezel at 7:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You can always go to the teachers and parent store and inquire on what they recommend. I did this with my son and we do many thng on the weekends. Painting, drawing, tracing, and many other fun activities. Have a play day for him, this helped me also.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 9:55 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• We are going to go to the Dallas Aquarium today. I am very excited. He's pretty ecited too. He want to take his fishy hole (fishing pole)
    a.wright194

Comment by a.wright194 (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• DD and I just finished doing the Miracle Gro Mod Pots, (she planted her own peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, and cucumbers) She's 9 but I remember us doing that in preschool.
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 2:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2011