Sick dog?

So Wenesday my dog had a poop accident in the house and it was really soft which is not like him. Yesterday her threw up and 2 runny accidents during the day and 2 runny accidents at night. His gas is really horrible too. Should I take him to the vet and what it out? Not sure that he got into anything and we dont feed him table food. Any input would be helpful thanks

lillysmama2008

Asked by lillysmama2008 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Pets

• It sounds like he may have eaten something from either your trashcan or outside. This can cause a bacterial infection just like food poisoning in humans. You should remove all food sources from him, isolate him from other pets, supervise him outside, and give him plenty of water.
    Call your vet ASAP, as animals can get dehydrated super quick. If your vet wants you to come in, take a written list of your dog's symptoms (is he more tired than usually, when did the diarrhea start, have you switched brands/food type for him recently, etc) as well as a sample of his feces if you are able (just put a little in a plastic baggy). If your dog starts having blood in his vomit or feces, take him to the nearest emergency vet.
    Other things to consider are that he may have eaten something that is blocking part of his digestive tract, he could have a parasite, or contagious (to other animals) infection.
    Kristin_Allen

Answer by Kristin_Allen at 8:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• Unless this goes on for long periods of time, (a week or so) I wouldn't take him, give him a spoon of pepto bismol.

Answer by older at 9:34 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• i would just give the vet a call and see hwat the vet has to say
    jennifer41587

Answer by jennifer41587 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't take him in yet, he may have ate something that caused this, but i would watch him and if it continues for a few days i would, make sure he is drinking his water and maybe a call to the vet wouldn't hurt.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would put him on a bland diet of either boiled chicken/rice or boiled ground beef/rice until it clears up. If it doesn't clear up within a couple of days or if he gets worse (loses his appetite or becomes lethargic or if you see any blood in his poop/puke), take him to the vet.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Thanks everyone! I will definetly call the vet
    lillysmama2008

Comment by lillysmama2008 (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Take care!!! I hope he feels better soon!! Don't give pepto to your dog! Bad information! It is for people!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• As one of the few drugs that can be used by both humans and animals, it is safe to give your dog Pepto Bismol. It can be bought with a prescription or over the counter but it is a good idea to get a vet's opinion before administering this medicine to your dog yourself.    

Read more: Is It Safe to Give Your Dog Pepto Bismol? http://www.vetinfo.com/dog-pepto-bismol.html

Many of the meds a vet prescribes are used for both humans AND animals. Many of your pet prescriptions can be picked up at a pharmacy for less than what the vet charges.

That being said, you should check with a vet first ONLY because you don't want to mask symptoms of a serious problem. Dogs get tummy upsets just like we do, but it could be worms or any number of worse problems. Always check!

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• How is your dog feeling?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• So I called the vet and of course they wanted to see him but neither one of us could take him on Friday and they were booked on Saturday. He seemed better then he started the messy pooping again. I gave a small amount of food yesterday with lots of water and no food today just water. Hopefully one of us can get him to the vet soon. He hasnt thrown up and seems to be acting normal other than the pooping. Thanks for your concern I appreciate it
    lillysmama2008

Comment by lillysmama2008 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2011