Trophy case or shelf?

My dd & ds have quite the collection now of trophies and awards. I really have run out of shelf space for all of it. My mil wants me to get a regular shelf and put them on there and then just add additional shelves but I think it would look too cluttered. I am looking at trophy cases but most seem to be for schools or what have you. I am looking for something smaller, like a china cabinet I guess.
Which would you do?

Asked by gemgem at 9:35 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• A China cabinet sounds fantastic.
    If you can afford something bigger, perhaps an Antique book-case or French "Vitrine".
    Even if your kids grow older, these trophies will mean A LOT TO YOU !
    lillyblue111

Answer by lillyblue111 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You might look at Curio cabinets....some of them are large enough for trophys and have more glass than a regular china cabinet.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:48 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have tons of those sitting up in my window sill, and book case, after a while when they grow, they tend to loose their importance to them.

Answer by older at 9:36 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• It isnt for them as much as it is for me to have them to save. My window sill is already full of other things lol.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'd contain them all in one space that I wouldn't have to dust.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:41 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You know, I am aware how we can come to treasure these things, so if you plan on making this part of your home decor, by all means buy that cabinet, but how about putting the trophies in their respective rooms?

Answer by older at 9:41 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would suggest a bookshelf if you wanted to display them all. When I was growing up, mine went to the basement or to my bedroom after they were displayed somewhere in the house for a little while.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:42 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• With my son that would be alright but my dd is 6 and she has a habit of getting them down and forgetting about them so it just creates a bigger mess. I find them in the toy box and all of that. She has a couple that are fairly large as well so its kind of clunky I guess to have them hanging around randomly.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My kids have them on shelves in their own rooms. We bought floating shelves at BB&B and they each have 3 on their wall. Since the collection of shelves (we have them arranged artfully, not straight across) the only thing on that one wall in each of their rooms, it doesn't look cluttered.

Answer by missanc at 10:00 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• A curio cabinet, they come in all sorts of shape and sizes. Might I add keep the newest ones on a shelf in each child's room. Then as the shelf gets full have your child decide which ones moves to the curio cabinet.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2011