Disrespectful Teacher

My child's teacher was completely disrespectful to myself, my husband and then my kid. It started like this...My daughter was complaining her grade was wrong (she just started this class) so I looked at it. She missed 2 ?s out of 20 so I wondered why she received a 77%. I wrote a letter to the teacher asking her to explain her grading because I didn't understand. The teacher called and left me a disrespectful message on my machine. My husband took that to the principal who was really upset about her disrespect. Immediately aftwerward, the teacher called my husband with further disrespect. Later in class, she was disrespectful to my child. There isn't another teacher in her grade we could change her to, so what do I do now?

MBPswife

Asked by MBPswife at 9:35 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Need more info.  How was she disrespectful?  What did the principal say?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I agree with MrsH, give us more....

Answer by older at 9:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• what does the principal plan on doing? if he agrees she was disrespectful and doesnt correct the behavior i would go above him. what did she say?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You go back to the principle and tell them you will be filing a formal complaint with the district about the teacher if you dont get an apology and see a change in behavior. You explain if your child was disrespectful to the teacher she would be punished and you certainly expect to see some modification in this teachers behavior or you have no problem taking it to the district.

Answer by gemgem at 9:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would want to know what the principle is going to do about it...what was said by you to her and from her to you, your child, and your husband. The grade could be a matter of her weighting some questions higher than others, but it seems to me that this could be explained rationally instead of becoming disrespectful.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• She told me on the message that she based the grade off of the number of answers, not questions (there were the same amount of both). Then she says she uses a grader that ALL teachers use and if I had a problem with that then come question the grader! The principal was angry and said he would talk to her, he did and she called back with a bad attitude with my husband. In class she talked to my kid and said the same about the grades being off number of questions, points taken off for assignment number, and that it was too bad if she didn't agree. We tried calling the principal again, of course he is out for the day and I'm really upset!
    MBPswife

Comment by MBPswife (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• She can't continue to be disrespectful to you, your husband, and your child. Talk with the principal everday until this is resolved.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would continue to document and contact the teacher and the principal and tell them how you expect her to react... I would also remind my daughter though to do her very best in the class and not be disrespectful to her teacher. One of my children had a teacher like that, she was horrible...super mean to my son and to me. I brought it to the principals attention often and finally anytime that my child felt disrespect from the teacher he was given a pass to leave her class and go do his work with the school counselor...basically it was everyday. Other children spoke up as well. After that he received the proper grades and that summer that teacher was transferred to another school and then finally terminated. There is no room for crappy abusive teachers...it is hard enough for kids in school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• As soon as the principal got back I would tell he or she that it's time for a sit down meeting.  She is totally out of line.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You know we had a bad teacher like that and she had been a teacher awhile and I was told there wasnt much they could do since she had tenure. I kept complaining. Turned out the teacher was just burnt out being a teacher. She went on stress leave and then into retirement. I would wonder what age this teacher is and how long she has been teaching? In any case, I would definitely leave a message with the principle, give them until Monday afternoon to call you back, and then go from there. If there is no resolution by Tues I would go above them.

Answer by gemgem at 9:46 AM on Mar. 4, 2011