Im sooooo nervous ! I'm getting induced in 6 weeks, this is my first pregnancy. Can you prepare mentally for child birth ?

MJ42011

Asked by MJ42011 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• you can try but you'll never be mentally prepared until it happens
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• You are about to embark in the greatest day of your life, no experience like it, it is a thrill like no other, do not focus on other persons experience, we are all different, just remember you are there to meet your baby, and labor pains can be controlled with focusing and breathing through them, just keep thinking of your goal, good luck!!!!!!

Answer by older at 10:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• See if the hospital has any birthing classes that is what i did it cost me $25 but it was well worth it just call labor and delivery
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 10:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Don't let people scare you about induction! My last was an induction, and it was the BEST, most oraganized delivery of them all! I loved it. I have very fond memories. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions, or speak up if you need something. This is your time.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I agree with Musicmom!  The worst thing that I did when having my firstborn was to not SPEAK UP! 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I was induced twice... loved it that way!! I was scared as all hell the first time... for me it was a control thing. I didn't have control b/c it was be induced or me & my child's health was in danger. Don't loose your voice and make sure who ever is going to be with you knows what you want so they can speak up for you when you can not!! For me I kept telling my DH not to let them crank my neck forward when they were telling me to push... I told him to place his hand behind my shoulder blades and help me do a crunch instead. if I never told him that he'd have had no clue. It's the little things like that... don't be afraid to speak up!! You'll be fine... PM me any time if you want... I know I had tons of questions at this point as well... but you'll be fine... ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• PLEASE speak up! when my first niece was born, her parents didn't and it was not good.
    SIL wanted something but she didn't want to bother anybody, heart monitor was showing nieces heart going under the red line and BIL didn't want to ask anyone if it was a problem.

BTW- why would they have a induction planned 6 weeks out? I thought that they usually induced when a baby was late.
    are you sure you want to be induced? induction makes the labor hurt worse from everyone I've talked to that was induced.

Does your doctor have the induction planned so it won't fall into his weekend plans?
    I used to date a OBGYN and a lot of doctors plan out c-sections and inductions just for that reason.
    if it were me, I'd get a second opinion on this.
    Anonymous

• And i think thats alot of problems when alot of ppl are seen at the doctors they dont ask enough questions or dont ask any at all. . . i have learned that you need to ask questions to make sure you are getting the best care and that you are understanding whats being said and done. But thanks you guys
    MJ42011

Comment by MJ42011 (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• They are inducing me because i am a diabetic i go to a high risk pregnancy doctor for this twice a week, i also had a shorter cervix instead of it being 2.7 it was 1.4 and i was put on bedrest while my cervix went back to normal length and i came off of bedrest the next worry was if he was going to be a large baby or not because of my diabetes so far no sign of him being large he's about 4 lbs right where he is supposed to be i also started dialating they thought i was going to deliver early because of all these problems so they told me they are trying to get me to atleast 36 wks but now it seems as tho ill make it past 36 wks and may go full term.
    MJ42011

Comment by MJ42011 (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No matter how scary L&D seems, once you get there you are so relieved that most of your fears fly out the window. By the time my water broke with my first or my labor started finally with my second I was so ready to have the baby out. I was so uncomforatable physically and so exhausted. Yes some of the fears like the baby being big or its cord wrapped around its neck sit in your mind the entire delivery but the excitement makes it easier.

Good Luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2011