Mothers with dogs . . . how did you introduce you dog to the new baby ? I have a small terrier breed who is spoiled and is like my daughter she loves babies and kids she was very welcoming to my nephew when he was born but i dont want her to feel neglected so how do you introduce the two ?

MJ42011

Asked by MJ42011 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• While you are in the hospital have someone bring a blanket or piece of clothing that has the baby's smell on it and leave it in the house for the dog to smell and get used to. Then when you bring the baby home from the hospital, take the dog outside before you bring the baby in. Then bring the baby in the house and then let the dog back in. This way he is coming into the house with the baby there, instead of bringing the baby into "his house". Hopefully he will be less territorial this way. Good luck. Our dog has been awesome with our daughter and he is about 80lbs.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• well i have a manchester terrier and he already knows sumthing is up with me becuz he is very protective of me but i was going to try to let him smell any new baby things brought into the house, and since i will be living with my mother for a year due to my husband going to korea i know he wont be neglected but if i wasn't going to my mothers i would have introduced him slowly let him go to her/him i know he is good with babys but this will be different and i was going to try to give him as much attention as he needs and what i can give him while breastfeeding, sleeping, and trying to go for walks with him. i may not have got to try this yet but its what i was going to do and terriers are very loyal and loving i dont think you will have a problem with her. i hope i helped though its not much and i havent tried this yet. but also try asking your vet what is best to do as well they may have some good advice for you too.
    dory_girl88

Answer by dory_girl88 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Being totally honest. I didn't do anything! I just brought baby home, and did my everyday thing. I never really introduced them. It was fine. Not as big of a deal as some may anticipate. Good luck! :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Thanks I hope it works out like i said she loves my nephew still til this day when she sees him she goes crazy and can sniff him on anybody lol but since this is going to be my baby idk i adopted her from the local shelter and i kinda vowed to always give her attention just dont want her to feel neglected. But im having a boy so as he gets older im sure she will enjoy his company !!!!!!!
    MJ42011

Comment by MJ42011 (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Let the dog first smell a blanket, hat, or piece of clothing that smells like the baby. If she is introduced to the smell first then she is more likely to be welcoming to the baby. Give her positive attention while she is investigating said clothing, so she will put the smell with positive attention. Then when you introduce the baby have one of you holding her or being close to her and have your partner bring the baby over. Allow her to sniff the baby and investigate again with positive attention towards her. Allow her to feel out the baby (in a safe way obviously), so that she feels comfortable and at ease with this new baby.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:09 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Thank you mam yes that was very helping again its just shes like my baby and i know im going to miss her when i go into labor i can never leave the house withouth wondering what shes doing and when i come home shes just sleep. But yes terriers are very loving and loyal thanks again
    MJ42011

Comment by MJ42011 (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Mar. 4, 2011