How do i get my 3 year old to stay asleep and stay in his room?

I can generaly get him to sleep, but he wont stay asleep and he keeps coming in my room screaming! Last night he finally fell asleep at 8:50 and at 330 he was in my room crying and thrashing about in my bed as he usually does. Every single time i take him back to his room, he comes right back out! (I REFUSE to lock him in his room, so please dont suggest that!) Many thanks in advance for y0ur help!

malkaTZ

Asked by malkaTZ at 10:09 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would keep doing what you're doing, bringing him back to bed. Maybe standing there in his room for 5 minutes until he settles down will help. I bought my daughter the constellations ladybug nightlight and she loves it. Maybe it would give him something to look forward to being in his room. He could pick out what color he wants on the ceiling. My daughter started waking up in the middle of the night too, due to dreams. She has been watching a disney movie before bed each night (we're going to disney world and want her to get acquainted). She screams telling me there is witches in her room. Maybe try limiting tv a few hours before bedtime if you don't already? Good luck.
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 10:15 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I would try to figure out why he is getting out of bed. It does sound like he is having bad dreams, my 3 year old does too from time to time. Like elenalee said, maybe just try to get him to calm down when you put him back to bed, he will stay there. My distraction for my son is, I always make him go potty if he gets up. I figure, we are already up anyway, why not go to the bathroom. And usually that helps him focus on something else and go back to bed. When we are in the bathroom, I usually ask him if he had a bad dream and if he wants to tell me about it. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. I don't pry, but I let him talk about it if he feels he needs to, and reasure him that whatever bad thing happened in the dream was just a dream. :) Good luck!
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Thank YOU:)
    malkaTZ

Comment by malkaTZ (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Put a gate up, that's what we did with our daughter
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:27 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My 3y/o does the same thing. His room is near the kitchen, so when I first put him to bed I tell him that I will be right outside his room but he needs to close his eyes and go to bed. When he wakes up I pretty much do the same thing. I take him back to his room and tell him I will be right outside but its time to go to sleep. He usually wakes up after having a bad dream. So just let him know that you are near by, but he needs to stay in his room.

vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 12:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2011