Ebay or Major consignment Sale?

I have a ton of baby clothes and items I need to sell.

There is a big semi-annual consignment sale in my area and they are about to have a sale at the end of this month.

I can consign through them and make a 70/30 profit (70% goes to me), but I have to give them the items and wait 2-3 weeks for my check to arrive. they do not take responsibility for lost, stolen, damaged, etc items.

I am also looking at selling on ebay as I have before. They only take like 10% (I think) for an auction style listing IF it sells and selling auction style is free up to 100 listings. I would not sell the larger items there, just the clothes and could charge the buyer shipping costs and start my auctions around 99 cents.

Which would you do? I am leaning more towards ebay as I get more % of the profits and all the proceeds are going to my Susan Komen fundraising. But should I also sell some of the alrger items at the consignment sale?

Need ideas ladies. :)

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• Id do both (as I am actually) what is your deadline for handing stuff to consign? Id try listing and if they dont sell then consign,
    Ive made about 900 bucks in the last 2 weeks selling all the kids old clothes and my maternity stuff
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• What happens if your items don't sell on consignment? Most consignment agreements stipulate that whatever doesn't sell becomes property of the consignment shop/entity. They, at that point, can continue to display/sell those items with 100% of the proceeds going to them, not you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• What about posting them on craigslist?
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 10:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Tough call... I've not done one of those consignment deals... I've only done eBay and a garage sale. The only thing bad about eBay and baby clothing is that it seems people like to buy in lots (or bulk), which makes your shipping so expensive. Hope that helps...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• We personally do our local consignment sale twice a year...even though it is only 70/30 for us too we find that it is easier for us
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Honestly, I don't think you'd make much money at all either way. I'd personally give the stuff to charity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• They say on their webpage that you have a few days to pick up and then it goes to a charity (you choose your favorite charity before the sale).
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I need to raise funds for my Susan Komen team goal. Typically I take everything to Goodwill or give it away.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have before but my area is not as active in the children's clothes and such. You get a lot of people inquiring but who don't follow through. I have them call me and call me all week and then on the day/time we agree to meet they don't show or call or anything. It's really lame. Lol, I posted something once and got an almost immediate response and it worked out.... I was SHOCKED! That's bad isn't it? :)
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Mar. 4, 2011