To those married over ten years, what is your best marriage advice?

mamacita69930

Asked by mamacita69930 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• Hi mamacita! I say communication is key, trust and hugs and kisses everyday!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:21 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• laugh together every day
    don't let the little things get you down
    cry/mourn together,not separately
    don't take life too seriously.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Communication. Respect. Acceptance.
    and unconditional love.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Don't sweat the small stuff, pick your battles. Communication is a biggie. We kiss every time we get home from work and always say love you and good night at bedtime.

choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 10:28 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• We have never been married, but we are on year 13 together...I would say the biggest advice is to not withhold affection when you are angry, but sometimes that physical closeness (not sex, necessarily, but touching or cuddling), is what he or both of you need.

Also, When he tries to apologize or move past something, let him. Don't hang onto anger because it will not help the situation. Neither will expecting him to read your mind.

Finally, don't expect him to agree with you on everything. You chose him...a separate human being...because you think you mesh well and can have a good future together...that doesn't mean that you're supposed to agree on everything for the next 60 years.

Granted, we have never had to go through serious things like abuse or cheating, but smaller day-to-day arguments. I just try to make home a pleasant place to come home to. I try to keep humor and joy in our house. It makes the arguments easier.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:33 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Do all you can to laugh as much as possible, try not to sweat the small stuff, and make sure he eats on a regular basis.
    They're just like kids, you have to keep them fed or else they become impossible!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have been married 39 years, communication plays a big role, compromise is another biggie, and most importantly respect and love.

Answer by older at 12:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Treat each other with respect. Know when to leave a room so you won't kill him (now that's love!)
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• communication,trust,pick your battles wisely, keep fun in marriage,respect ,kindness and understanding and love
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Love, respect, communication, being able to listen (this one I didn't do well and just recently realized that I was always trying to solve his problems when he just wanted me to listen). Have sex often, if he wants it you should give it, if you want it he should give it, don't make excuses. Have fun together, don't forget why you got married. Try to stay away from routines by changing things up. Always make time for each other.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2011