If you don't believe in contraception, but use natural family planning, isn't that still a form of birth control?

I'm not trying to argue. My friend was showing me some class worksheets from the church she wants to get married in. It says that contraceptives were made for people who lack self control. It also said that if you didn't want to be pregnant to not have sex on your fertile days. Isn't that the same thing? To me that's still a way of preventing pregnancy. And what if you don't have regular periods and can't do natural planning? Could someone please explain this to me?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Church forbids the use of artifical conception, but they agreed that NATURAL family planning is accentable.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• From my understanding they believe that contraceptive is immoral and promotes premarital sex. Abstaining on non fertile days is not altering or changing anything in the body and has not potential to harm a fetus or embryo. I'm not sure how people with irregular period would plan around that but I'm assuming that they would have to use the pull out method as well. I do recall from my Anatomy and Physiology classes that this neither of these methods are very reliable and that there is a much higher risk of pregnancy then with contraceptive.
    missShye

Answer by missShye at 10:44 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I don't believe in it because I don't believe that it is healthy for women to take. NFP works great for us, our youngest is 2 and still working. There is a 3 yr gap between our 4th and 5th children.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:06 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I do recall from my Anatomy and Physiology classes that this neither of these methods are very reliable and that there is a much higher risk of pregnancy then with contraceptive.

Then you should have also learned that hormonal BC is very dangerous especially for women with undiagnosed heart problems, BC is also not reliable and you don't realize how not reliable it is until your pregnant. NFP, is reliable if you know what you are doing and know the functions of the female body.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:10 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• In Paul's writings, he talks of husbands and wives taking a break from each other. To rest and find love in other ways. To live a chaste married life. NFP allows this. All women can use NFP, it's not just counting days, it's watching the signs of the woman's body. Once she knows these signs it can also help her know if something else is wrong. When use correctly it's a very effective BC. With a 97% success rate of preventing pregnancy or planning pregnancies. No BC is 100%, so why screw with your hormones or cut into a healthy body?

daps

Answer by daps at 3:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I guess in a way it is,yes.
    I guess if you're irregular its going to be a crapshoot if you end up pregnant or not.
    I dunno,I guess they'd have to constantly take OPK tests

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I use birth control i have 3 kids and hubby is getting a vasectomy we are done haveing kids BUT....

I have a neighbor who is a christian she doesnt believe in anything not even family planning. They believe that god will bless them with as many children as he wants them to have and that children are a blessing from God. They have been married for about 15 yrs and have 8 children.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:36 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Although I do not believe contraception to be a sin BUT this is what I think the argument could be:
    God made our cycles predictable (some what) for a reason- so it would be acceptable to use this as a means of family planning-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Just as a question for those who say they are opposed to bc because it can interfere with implantation... what issues do you have with barrier methods (ie. condoms, diaphragm, sponge, spermicide, etc.) that prevent sperm from reaching egg? Bc isn't limited to hormonal methods. What issues do you have with barriers?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• But why? And why does it matter if it's not in the Bible? Where do they get their rules from? I'm honestly curious.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Mar. 4, 2011