I feel like I just do not like my step son!

I know this sounds awful, but is this normal? What do I do?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Need more info.  What is your relationship like?  Does the step son have a disrespectful manner?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I wish I had the words to say that would make you feel better... As a step-parent of two kids I have to say that it has been very hard for me! There have been times when I thought I detested them both! Step-parenting is not easy!!!!
    i_love_cows

Answer by i_love_cows at 10:46 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Just give him respect and show him how to give respect than maybe the love will come later.

Just be kind to a child and you will be fine.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:51 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You have to find common ground with him & spoil him rotten for a bit. Kids are superficial & love getting stuff, if you spoil him he will begin to like you more & you will begin to like him more. Once you've established a friendship with him, then you have his respect & you can begin to reprimand him here & there. If you walk into a relationship with his father & begin reprimanding him before you gain his trust & respect, then he won't like you. Plain & simple. You need to show him you can be kind & loving towards him, that is the first thing a step parent needs to do. After that, you can take steps to be more of an authoritative figure, but in the beginning you need to work on creating a friendship with him.

What is it about him that you don't like? Can you elaborate further?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I actually give credit to step parents because as a mother who only likes her own child and niece, I don't know how someone can walk in and really love / respect another's child - I know THAT sounds horrible but.. i think it will only take TONS of patience and mostly, acceptance that this will never be a love or understanding you will have for your own child.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• u shouldn't marry someone un less u like their kid!!
    Ericaca

Answer by Ericaca at 11:33 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I want you to know you will go through all kinds of ups and downs with steps. My step dd passed away two weeks ago and my heart is broken. Her dad and I where married for 12 yrs and we got a divorce 4 yrs ago. Although my step dd was an adult, out on her own, she was a dd to me. The grieving is real, the sadness is real. Its a horrible loss for our family and she leaves behind my step son and our two together dd and ds. Like I said, you will go through ups and downs and different ages and stages with steps, but they are your family for life. I wish you luck
    Anonymous