My 7 y.o's attitude is driving me and my husband crazy!!!!!! HELP!!!!

discipline/mean spirited-As her Dad and I think she is getting way too grown. Smart in the mouth. We are soooooooooooooooo tired of saying the same thing over and over. She treats us like crap, but is so respectful to outside influences (teachers etc...) Her Dad and I (my husband) are constantly telling her the mess she is watching on TV is not real. She is just becoming so annoying and she is my only daughter. My only child. I love her so much, but the smartness is turning me off from wanting to get closer to her. I have feelings also. Last night she got flip in the mouth AGAIN and I was clinching my teeth. She asked, "Mommy, why are you clinching your teeth". I started to say, "To keep me from banging you in your mouth". But I walked away.LORD, help me. I would never hurt her, but my anger level is through the roof with her. Am I wrong?

SamyasMommy

Asked by SamyasMommy at 11:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You are saying the same thing over and over and it's not working. Put some consequences into how you're parenting her. If you don't like what she's watching, change the channel. Certainly, you pay the cable bill so it's your choice what gets watched. Change your attitude and she will change hers.

The sooner you do this, the better. I found ScreamFree by Hal Runkle inspiring.  It really got me to change how I deal with DD.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I'm assuming you have tried the taking stuff away routine; television, computer, phone, ipod, gaming systems, etc? you just continue to deprive her of what she like to do at 7 I would think she would come around pretty quickly. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I feel your pain woman...one of my 8 yo twins is mouthyer than the other and i know it's the BS they watch on tv.....not to mention the BRAT of a 10 yo that lives next to us...they see how she is and what she says and does Vanny thinks she can act that way too....WRONG!!!...it is so hard to be going through this, i hope they will all grow out of it and realize what we teach them is for their own good...just like your girl Vanny is fine in school and to other people(except her twin, tthey argue to much over petty little things)...part of me IS thankful they are not complete heathens in public.....wish you the best of luck.....Jes
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 11:41 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• super nanny uses this smart mouth/trash talk board. You get a cork board and stick mouth pictures on it (ten or so) and every time she gets smart or mouths off she loses one and if she gets through the week with all her mouths up she gets a reward like being allowed to stay up an hour later or taking a small trip that she's wanted to go on. What is she watching that's got her talking like this? Have you tried channel blocks? Leave Nickelodeon and cartoon network, PBS, (other kid friendly channels) unblocked and set a password for stuff like MTV, Spike, (not kid friendly). She will fight it and there should still be consequences for talking back to you (time out, take away a toy until she keeps all her mouths up,something like that) But it's only gonna get worse before it gets better. GL mama. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I had a mouthy 6 y/o who told me "no" one day when I asked her to clean her room. So after striping her room of everything (toys, t.v., VCR, bed) I started to take the bed and she finally complied and she cleaned her room. But she had to earn back her toys a little at a time. Now she is 10 yo and she keeps her room clean and can do any cleaning list I leave for her. Tough love is hard, but it's worth it in the end.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Nip it in the bud. Just let her know emphatically what is acceptable and what isn't. Be firm and consistent.

cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 1:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I agree with cleanaturalady.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• I think you need to crack down on discipline and rules and boundaries and be insanely consistent. Husband must be on board too. No mixed messages. Take away TV and video games and any other fun privileges until she starts to straighten up and make it CLEAR as day what consequences will be if she acts like a snot. We have a NO TOLERANCE policy for rude sassy mouths in our home.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:20 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• Take away everything that's fun to her and explain that if she wants to act like a brat, she will be treated like one. At 7, she is old enough to change her behaviors.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• good luck!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 17, 2011