Trying to teach a 4 years old...

Okay so my daughter is almost 4(march 5 is her bday). I'm trying to start teaching her things to get her ready for kindergarten (i know its a little ways away). She already can do a lot and I just want to continue teaching her as much as I can. She knows her abc can almost count to 100 by herself (she forgets a few #) and she can write most of her letters and can right her name. Heres my problem...she's gotten to this point where she's struggling a little bit and its frustrating her. How can I be a better teacher for her when it comes to writing the rest of her letters and her numbers? Also, any advice on how to teach a kid how to read and sound out letters and words? Any help would be appreciated...thanks!!

ramita

Asked by ramita at 11:33 AM on Mar. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• For sounding out letters, there is this great website called starfall.com. It has pictures, the letter in capital and lower case form, and it sounds out the letter and it also has words that emphasize the letter and it's sound.

For writing out letters, why not get a workbook or print off some pages of letters she can trace first, then begin to write herself. I use this website myself for my daughter http://www.kidzone.ws/kindergarten.htm
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:05 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Sounds like she already knows a lot! If she is getting frustrated I would back off a bit. You don't want her getting frustrated before she starts school. Young kids LOVE school and LOVE learing! I would just casually from time to time do quizes like when you are in the car or something and ask her 'what sound does the letter 'S' make?'...etc. My son is only 3 and he and I go through letter sounds all the time. It really sounds to me like she is doing great at this point. I wouldn't push her too much. Just make it fun and maybe she won't get so frustrated. Good luck!
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• My sister was a preschool teacher and she actually got frustrated at parents who taught all these things to their children because thats their job and when they got to her classroom they were bored because they already knew it all and were causing problems because of the boredom, and she actually said she would much rather parents taught their children better obedience than their abc's and 123's
    I think she is a mini genius compared to my son(4) who can count to 15, say his abc's and only actually recognizes like 6 of those letter's.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• make it fun.... play games!
    MOMMY2TWINBOYS4

Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• When we hit a rut, I do exactly what you have done and come here and ask for help.  I got SERIOUSLY the best advice ever when I posted a similar question a few weeks ago.  The Letter Factory DVD.  I am struggling with teaching my 3 year old and worry that I'm not getting through to her.  Watching that video once a day for 3 days taught my kids how to sound out their letters and also helped me with the rut my 3 year and I were in! 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Don't stress so much. My twins are in 1st grade. One refused to learn to write his name until kindergarten started. They could only count to around 20 when they started school and always got 12 - 16 confused. Now, they can go through a deck of flash cards (+ or -) as fast as I can turn them.

Do fun things. Practice writing in shaving cream on a table or in a box of sand. Better yet, teach pencil control by letting her be creative!
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• well it really depends on the school. have you found out what she needs to know in order to be ready for kinderegarden. some schools only want the kids to know basic shapes and to be able to regognized some letters. some do required them to know all abc and sounds. contact the school she will be attending and ask them.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Leapfrog Letter Factory (they have a big set now for cheap that is awesome that covers letters, small words, math) is AWESOME! DD learned her letters/letter sounds in about a week.. And I even like the dvds!
    keep it fun.. think about what she is into at the moment.. If she ask questions about an animal, job, whatever -- visit the library & get a book for her age about it.. Play educational games that are based around that ..
    Instead of flashing cards at her.. lay a few out on the ground & have her race to find them... Or if you have doubles (1,1 or J, j).. turn it into a matching game where u flip the cards over ... Play simple card games with letters/numbers..
    When they are learning & dont know it is the best! :)
    Learning at this age should always be FUN.. Never boring or forced! "Learning is boring/stressful/too hard" will stick with her much longer than not knowing how to write her name :-)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Thanks everyone...I know she is young to have learned so much, but she normally enjoys it. She's actually frustrated that she doesn't know how to read (I thought they didn't care if the knew how to read lol). She probably knows more than she needs to start kindergarten, but I'm going back to school and she wants to go to now. So I told her I would be her teacher, but I have been at a loss as to how to do it...
    ramita

Comment by ramita (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2011